Underwater Communications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZamaTim

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi All,

Anyone here use an underwater communication device to talk to students or other divers? What I'm looking for is something to use in my basic scuba classes. Thanks

I can only assume because of the time involved to learn it. Most people don't go diving to sit and talk or communicate with each other, they go to enjoy the dive.

Yes, both DiveLink and Ocean Reef have systems that allow the instructor to talk to the students, in both cases of course the students can not reply as they will be diving with a traditional second stage.

Ocean Reef uses a full-face mask and Dive Link uses either a FFM or a modified second stage with enough air space for words to form...

http://www.divelink.net/sports.htm

http://www.oceanreefgroup.com/usa.htm

Ocean Technology Systems also makes a great underwater comm system. You probably want to look at the Buddy Phones. You can either use a full face mask (FFM) that requires some extra training to get used to, or they have a cup-like device that you put over your mouth with the microphone and regulator in it.

I recommend looking at the Mantis mask that they have started offering. It's a FFM, but its a lot more comfortable for recreational divers, and its also usable with your existing reg system. It also has the advantage of being priced a little better for the recreational diver.

The AGA mask they have is great too - if you've ever seen the masks that firefighters use, its similar to those. It has a second stage built into it.

Are you an instructor looking to communicate with your students? Underwater comms don't really work too well if you are still demonstrating skills. If you have progressed to the open water dives where you have the students demonstrating skills, then it can be very effective. You would wear the microphone and you can carry around one of the receive-only units to give to your students so they can hear you and receive instructions. It definitely would cut down on some of the yo-yo effect.

Hope that helps!

- David

Zama:
Hi All,

Anyone here use an underwater communication device to talk to students or other divers? What I'm looking for is something to use in my basic scuba classes. Thanks

Yes sea signs underwater signs language
it is easy fun to learn and you never have to worry about the batteries dying on you mid dive

Zama:
Hi All,

Check out the May 2004 issue of Sport Diver Magazine. They do a mini-review of the OTS MKII-Bud Buddy phone by Ocean Technology Systems. It looks pretty nice, but retails at $1150. They have a surface station unit for talking to the dive boat as well.

RIDIVER,
I took a look at the Sea Signs home page and was relatively impressed.
It's a shame the diving organizations don't accept this as a universal signal system.
I know it would create a monopoly for one company, but we should start somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom