Puerto Galera Gay Scene: Tell me about it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Average

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was planning a trip to PG for me and my friends and have been telling everybody about it. My GF just got back to me, some coworker who's Brother is from the Philipines told her, that he loved PG for the island, but that he hated it because of the overwhelmingly present gay scene. According to him, "there are nearly no heterosexual girls" around and you stumble upon men making love behind virtually every bush. lmao... now, to me it sounds slightly exagerated. A quick google search revealed that yes, indeed PG is a favorite gay destination.. but I'd be happy to hear from some of you. Just to clear this right away: I have no problem with gay people, and when in San Francisco I actually even prefer to hang out in the Castro. Its just more "gay", if you allow me this pun. But that's me, and if I'm dragging a group of 8 people down there, I want to make sure that the scene is not nearly as hardcore as this one person made it out to be... So I'm still a little bit concerned. We won't have alot (if any) singles with us, so we really don't care if there are alot of single girls or not, but yeah, if the entire Island is one huge gay parade and the fish are wearing tshirts that don't cover their navel and give you an attitude for mixing a yellow fins with a purple wet suit... I need to know about beforehand :) So, any opinions from people who have been there recently?

your GF's brother is probably referring to the White Beach area which has, if i remember correctly, some gay action (bars, boys for hire, etc.) but i've only been to white beach once and even then i never noticed the place to be any more "gay" than the rest of the world...

the best diving is centered around the sabang-lalaguna area with great ops and hotels

but whatever it is, it's not one big parade... in general the philippines doesn't roll like that unless it's was a major party season or there was a (very) gay-related event happening at roughly the same time like a pageant, some guy turning 50 (and buying boys for all his... ummmm... boys), or something...

Jag

[Just a quick clarification since my GFs brother might be reading this board soon: somebody in my GF's office is philipino and that person's brother said that] Okay, so this sounds quite different hehe.

Have never seem any evidence of such. Someone has a very distorted view of PG.

Been there twice, including just a couple of weeks ago. Didn't notice any gay scene, much less anything like you described

Maybe the person who said this is a putz, and the girls he was hitting on used the "I'm a lesbian" excuse to get rid of him...

The gay scene is really alive at White Beach which is more of a party place. However, most of the diving is done out of the Sabang and Lalaguna. Sabang has its share of girlie bars while Lalaguna is a bit more laid back.

Currently at Asia Divers in Sabang and not noticed anything remotely gay, lot of nice ladies though :D

There are a few transvestites about on Sabang Beach especially at night.
"there are nearly no heterosexual girl"!!! That is rubbish, got to laugh though!!

There are a few transvestites about on Sabang Beach especially at night.
"there are nearly no heterosexual girl"!!! That is rubbish, got to laugh though!!

Always do the "Paul Hogan Check" from Crocodile Dundee :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom