Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's water was colder and after 2 hours I was glad to be out of the water...
viz was as Jim says between 10 and 20 feet temp at 80.
During the 2nd third of the dive there were 5 eagle rays that continued circling round me but because of the viz it was impossible to get good images.
There is also a new drop off in front of the mirror wreck so be careful. It isn't much but if you aren't aware it could suprise you lol. I also noticed that Sandy really moved the sand around and scoured lots of sponge and algae from the structures. The critters seemed very timid today also.
I'll post a few images later

Post-larval Trunkfish Eagle Ray Banded Jawfish

Blue Heron Bridge Post-larval Trunkfish.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Eagle Ray.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Banded Jawfish.jpg

Last edited:
I showed 80 degrees again today as well. Viz very similar to thursdays' viz. Fairly clear for
first 10 feet or so then a little cloudy from 10-15 ft but very diveable. Saw numerous eagle rays
thursday and first octopus in a while and a seahorse today. Dove the east side. Used the 3 mill and
beanie today and was pretty comfortable but could tell the difference with the beanie compared to the
hooded vest. Good dive.

I showed 80 degrees again today as well.

Temp showed between 79 & 81 depending on where I was. Viz.... that is another story. Started out about 10 to 15 and milky then as we headed west the viz dropped considerably. At times 7 feet then totally milky. The worst was down the west wall and then heading back East along the bridge spans. That was really bad viz. Dove with Treasure Coast Diver today. jimw is still our shore support waiting for his surgery to heal. Still managed to see plenty of fish and a couple of spotted Eagle Rays. Lots and Lots of divers there today. Looked like several classes. Got run over by one group of divers. It looked like "follow those fins no matter what" for that group. Glad I did the dive it is always good to get wet.

Will be back again Monday with Joanne R and Helen B. It is a total chick dive. :D WhooHoo. jimw will be the shore support.

As others have posted viz was divable. Saw a couple of eagle rays and freed a horseshoe crab from a fishing net on the back side of the bridge on the east side. Swam up on the net and about to pass by when I noticed an eye and a small amount of movement. My daughter and I cut though the net then I was able to kind of reach in and grab him to get him removed and untangled. Once free, he was moving on. I hope he does OK!!!

Still pining for my lost mask

lost mask.jpg

Whilst looking through an old thread, I was reminded about this mask that I lost last year. It has custom designed "readers" in it. I would still *love* to find it. . .

BTW, any manufacturers who might see the pic are encouraged to copy the design. :D

Whilst looking through an old thread, I was reminded about this mask that I lost last year. It has custom designed "readers" in it. I would still *love* to find it. . .
I'll keep an eye out for them but by now they are probably encrusted with all kinds of stuff that won't come off.
The glass would still be salvageable, so I guess as long as you could still get the same style mask you'd be OK.

Do you remember in approximately which area you think you lost them?

Temp showed between 79 & 81 depending on where I was. Viz.... that is another story. Started out about 10 to 15 and milky then as we headed west the viz dropped considerably. At times 7 feet then totally milky. The worst was down the west wall and then heading back East along the bridge spans.

Sounds like the viz at the east span may have been just a bit better. We had at least 10 ft clear viz both sides of the bridge.
Not great viz but certainly appreciated after seeing it stirred up for the last couple weeks. Showed 80 degrees thursday, friday,
and saturday. Showed 81 degrees for a bit but mostly 80 !

I'll keep an eye out for them but by now they are probably encrusted with all kinds of stuff that won't come off.
The glass would still be salvageable, so I guess as long as you could still get the same style mask you'd be OK.

Do you remember in approximately which area you think you lost them?

Yep. The parking lot. :)

Kevin,
Looks like you posted that shrimp photo in the older Blue Heron thread. I recently (well 3-4 months ago) ID'd it for someone in this thread. I would have to log into my other computer for it's full name but it is a Thalassinidean shrimp. Hope that helps
Deb

Kevin,
Looks like you posted that shrimp photo in the older Blue Heron thread. I recently (well 3-4 months ago) ID'd it for someone in this thread. I would have to log into my other computer for it's full name but it is a Thalassinidean shrimp. Hope that helps
Deb

Thank you! Yes, it does! I sort of remembered part of the name, but when I did a Google search for "thal shrimp", it corrected it to "Thai". :D

Turns out I had it in my little "Word" document list of underwater fish and critter names, and "thal" woulda found it in alphabetical order. duh

Thalassinidean Shrimp (Corallianassa longiventris)

Thanks, again. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom