Possible to dive with great white's without cage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Commercial divers have been working underwater in 'shark infested waters' since diving began. I've been in the water with several GWs (and other species) over the years and it never occurred to me (or anyone else) to stop diving operations every time a large predator was around divers. Oil development projects just wouldn't get done if that was the case. They are very curious creatures.

"Jaws" made a huge impact on the minds of people who are largely unfamiliar with the ocean. When diving off the south coast of South Africa, the main hazard I've experienced has been with strong currents and not sharks. I suppose however, if your shark encounter is induced i.e. chumming the water to lure them to the boat, that may be another matter. Even some people answer the call to dinner and their mouths start to salivate. The only thing that's predictable about any species of shark is that they're not predictable.

Last edited:
About 12 years ago Jean-Michel Cousteau freedove with great whites under the direction of Andre Hartman in S.A. He's still alive to tell the story.

Here's a picture of Andre and a great white from Cousteau's web site:
andre-hitches-ride-lg.jpg

Yes you can, Protea banks. I can arrange trips and give you more information and best times to go. Contact me through my website if seriously interested.
Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Dude, while Protea Banks certainly is an awesome diving locality with a variety of sharks on offer, you'd be extremely lucky to find a Great White Shark.

To answer the OP's question, I am not aware of any dive operators that specifically target Great Whites (non cage diving). One would think that an open water dive with an operator along the Cape coast would give you a higher chance but sightings of Great Whites on SCUBA is super rare. You could consider Pisces Divers in Cape Town. Maybe pop them an e-mail, I can't think of anyone who'd be better qualified to answer your question.

I've been wondering the same thing! A friend of mine just got back from there, and said it is possible, although she also thinks I'm Bat-*hit crazy. I'll see what I can get as far as who they went with and who she asked about it for me.
Is it possible to dive with great whites in SA without a cage? I'm arriving in SA in 10 days and will be there for three weeks. Also where is the best place for cage diving and breaching whites? many thanks

From what I understand great whites are actually quite shy of divers, and the only reason they come to the cages is because of the chumming. You'd be lucky to see one on a regular reef dive, and in no major risk of attack, as they primarily feed at the surface/from below. Staying close to the reef, preferably below/deeper than the shark, is ideal from a safety standpoint, but in all likelyhood even if you do see one, it's going to be at the edge of visibility, and it's going to disappear back into the blue shortly after. The greatest risk is at the surface after the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom