Seiko really expensive dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffMandell

Reaction score
I was in a watch store to drop off a repair today and took a look at dive watches. There among the usual suspects was a gorgeous combo watch and full computer made by Seiko, similar in function, it appears, to Suunto's Stinger. It's the Seiko NX, catalog #STN00951.
The numerals are nice and big, the controls seemed easy and if I haven't already mentioned it, it's a beautiful piece.
However....
The list price is about $2,400!! :wacko:
I told the watch store owner, who is very nice but not a diver, that even with a 30% discount ($1680), it would be as expensive or more expensive than the Suunto Vytec with air integration or just about anything else. And, the Seiko doesn't have air integration.
I don't see how they're going to sell too many of these. Has anyone else seen them or know anything about them?

but if people will spend $5,000.00 or more on a Rolex, I'm sure Seiko will sell a few of these.

I have a 19 yr old Seiko Sports Timer 100 that I am trying to find or fabricate the bezel guards for so I can use it again. My wife bought it for me as a wedding present for $200. Best watch I have ever had. But they don't make aprts for it anymore.

Now, I can't bring myself to pay more than $80.00 for a watch.

... with transmitter AND the Stinger :D Seen it in pics, doen't do much for me. The Dive Rite Nitek+ does more (2 Nitrox mixes, the second to 99%) for $450, though it doesn't look as nice ... . The Stinger does look as good, especially in titanium.

As for the Rolex, as well as Breitlings, there is a fine difference between battery powered watches and the craftsmanship that goes into an automatic movement. I'd love to have both (Submariner & Seawolf) but probably would dive either one. For that the Nitek+ is simply better. As are my Luminox watches. And any loss is easier to stomach, too.

Found a website last week while lookiing for a new dive watch. Didnt want anything fancy....just a good watch with a one way bezel ring, day and date...and glowed in the dark.

Found it. The St. Moritz ZERO fit the bill perfectly. Plus, while an lds in wilmington had it for $145 .... the web site had it for $103...shipping free. I would have bought it for $120 if the lds would have been willing to come down but they werent. Oh well......

JeffMandell once bubbled...
it's a beautiful piece.
However....
The list price is about $2,400!! ...
I don't see how they're going to sell too many of these.
You've answered your own question.
You can easily spend that much on a Rolex and all it does is keep fairly good time.
Rick

If you are still interested in the watch, it is available in Singapore for S$1,600 or about US$900.

JeffMandell:
I was in a watch store to drop off a repair today and took a look at dive watches. There among the usual suspects was a gorgeous combo watch and full computer made by Seiko, similar in function, it appears, to Suunto's Stinger. It's the Seiko NX, catalog #STN00951.
The numerals are nice and big, the controls seemed easy and if I haven't already mentioned it, it's a beautiful piece.
However....
The list price is about $2,400!! :wacko:
I told the watch store owner, who is very nice but not a diver, that even with a 30% discount ($1680), it would be as expensive or more expensive than the Suunto Vytec with air integration or just about anything else. And, the Seiko doesn't have air integration.
I don't see how they're going to sell too many of these. Has anyone else seen them or know anything about them?

Sure, you can get a dive computer with air integration for less money than the Seiko watch you mention, but then again, it looks REALLY silly dragging that air integrated computer around to tell time when you're not diving!

I agree that's too much for a watch, but I suppose if I had the money, I might consider it anyway. As it is, I'm happy with my $200 Seiko dive watch with the solar charged battery, and I wear it every day (my Genesis ReAct is just too big to use as a watch!).

Do you by any chance have a link to view this watch? I have done multiple searches and cannot find anywhere to view it. The closest I come is the Citizen Aqualand NX

Unfortunately it's in Japanese! Go to the link below then look for the grey box which says pdf something something click that and the catalog will be downloaded

As far as I can work out the Seiko dive computer doesn't have pc interface, so in that sense the Stinger would be better. However, it has a titanium case and this watch is only slightly more expensive than the titanium Stinger (in Singapore).

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/psx/about/whats_marine.asp

jbichsel:
but if people will spend $5,000.00 or more on a Rolex, I'm sure Seiko will sell a few of these.

I have a 19 yr old Seiko Sports Timer 100 that I am trying to find or fabricate the bezel guards for so I can use it again. My wife bought it for me as a wedding present for $200. Best watch I have ever had. But they don't make aprts for it anymore.

Now, I can't bring myself to pay more than $80.00 for a watch.

I have a Seiko Automatic Hi-Beat Professional and I must say it it the most amazing watch. This is also an old timer and was produced in the late 60's to early 70's. They call this one the "Kahuna" of deep sea diving watches. Sure there is more technological advance computers and watches available today but I love this watch. I do have the same problem as you do with finding parts. The watch is in perfect working order and keeps time like a bomb but I can not find an original strap for the watch. I have tried Seiko head office and their only reply was..." sorry, the watch is out of production..." (that helps a lot...)

Back
Top Bottom