Protea Banks/ Umkomaas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
I will be diving for 1 week next March on the Protea Banks. Should I add also Umkomaas (for 1 or 2 days) or is it very similar?

Hopefully someone else who's dived both will reply to you (I've only dived at Umkomaas), but, as far as I know, Protea Banks is mostly dived for the pelagics -- the reef is apparently not much to look at, but the sharks and such make up for it. The reef at Umkomaas is, in my opinion, really pretty and interesting, but there's not as much opportunity to see pelagic life. Your odds are improved if you do a baited shark dive, which is offered by most operators there.

depends on what u looking for in a dive over there ? protea banks = sharks . Ukkomas = reef and possible sharks

I'd add a couple of days...they are only about an hours drive from each other and offer two different diving environments. As the last poster mentioned, Protea will be just sharks (the reef such as it is is pretty deep) and Umkomaas offers both. I would say for a baited dive, definitely do it at Protea, not Aliwal. Protea can blow you away with some incredible dives, but it can also be an "all or nothing" type experience..you might see nothing. Adding Aliwal on a trip (to me) gives more balance to any trip...unless you are only interested in seeing sharks.

Back
Top Bottom