New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blurfix3 SO will not vignette using the URPRO CYD (Dome CY filter) in any mode. Slight vignetting may be present in all hero3 cameras using the BlurFix3 SO topside. This may be true for all Hero3 cameras. The first several Hero3 Blacks had no vignetting, however we just got our hands on another and it had slight vignetting with the topside filters. We tested the Hero3 White and silver and saw slight vignetting in 960 mode topside, and a very slight amount using the 55mm URPro filters. The vignetting disappeared 100% when taken underwater, but we are doing everything possible to make our customers aware of the potential vignetting topside prior to releasing products for sale.

The BlurFix SO is designed to be a wet slip-over filter that accepts not only the New URPro CYD, but 55mm filters. The added benefits of using 55mm filters topside are beneficial but it's important to note that some cameras will vignette even when using our custom ultra low-profile Topside filters.

Question - why not make one to take the next size filter up and be done with this whole shemozzle of will it/wont it vignette... then you wouldn't have to "modify" the ones you sell to be low profile enough to "maybe" avoid it.

Question - why not make one to take the next size filter up and be done with this whole shemozzle of will it/wont it vignette... then you wouldn't have to "modify" the ones you sell to be low profile enough to "maybe" avoid it.

Clearly you have never tried to resolve this problem. Going up to a 58mm filter size only saves you from shaving about .4mm off the face of the frame. The key is getting filter glass as close as possible to the lens glass but as every filter manufacturer sets the glass at a different depth in the frame, that requires a fully adjustable thread system built into an impossibly tight frame depth. But most likely the reason for using the same filter size..... they didn't want to burn their previous customers, which is simply good business sense.

Hi Flareside, you are 100% correct, we are taking care of our customers who purchased the Original BlurFix first, and then we will move up to the 58mm. The idea of the 55mm first is that our previous customers will be able to purchase the BlurFix3 SO Naked (Frame) and save money in using the filters they already own.

Moving up to the 58mm will reduce the level of vignetting, but may not eliminate enough to use standard height filters topside. We have been collecting 58mm filters to build a base standard, and will make recommendations of filter brands that offer super low profile top side filters. This is in parallel with other developments and we will make information available when we are finished developing and testing. Again Flareside is spot on...Not all filters hold to a standard height male or female thread depth. We tested many Polarizing filters when we developed the original BlurFix and found the Marumi filters performed very close to the most expensive filters, and matched or exceeded them in our scratch tests. I would assume we will offer Marumi moving forward, in our opinion they may be the best bang for the buck.

Clearly you have never tried to resolve this problem. Going up to a 58mm filter size only saves you from shaving about .4mm off the face of the frame. The key is getting filter glass as close as possible to the lens glass but as every filter manufacturer sets the glass at a different depth in the frame, that requires a fully adjustable thread system built into an impossibly tight frame depth. But most likely the reason for using the same filter size..... they didn't want to burn their previous customers, which is simply good business sense.

---------- Post Merged at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:11 AM ----------

We have a few things in the works, and hope offer a couple options or recommendations. The lens cap we have available for the original BlurFix is also compatible with the BlurFix3 SO. They have a lanyard loop, so you can thread the lanyard through the loop and then attach to the filter. The downside(s) would be having the lens cap dangling, and protecting only the front surface of the filter. Dangling could be overcome by making a knot to limit the lens caps position behind the camera so it doesn't float around causing an annoyance while filming. There are many lanyard options available from other vendors, and possibly from SRP dealers. We do have a few concepts for filter storage.....a similar shaped "puck" as the housings flat port to attach to the Tray by SRP, and possibly trays available from other manufacturers seems as if it would be a good option for those who use trays.

This may be an idiotic question, but what's the best way to carry this filter under water. I know it comes with a little carry case which I assume is for out of the water. But seeing as the filter gives best results at certain depths, and isn't needed above the water or at very shallow depths how do you all carry this piece of kit. BC pocket? Lanyard?

I'm a bit concerned that I'll drop it unless I have it tethered to something trying to put it on and take it off under water.

Clearly you have never tried to resolve this problem

No I haven't, but that's why I asked. Obviously 58mm is only 1.5mm wider each side but it seemed to me that it wouldn't need much.

Not burning customers who previously bought a product might be good business sense but what is wrong with making both... so that 55mm filter owners can continue to use what they have and new customers have access to an improved product.

Thanks for shedding some light on what is involved... guess it just seemed like a simpler solution to me than it actually is.

No I haven't, but that's why I asked. Obviously 58mm is only 1.5mm wider each side but it seemed to me that it wouldn't need much.

Not burning customers who previously bought a product might be good business sense but what is wrong with making both... so that 55mm filter owners can continue to use what they have and new customers have access to an improved product.

Thanks for shedding some light on what is involved... guess it just seemed like a simpler solution to me than it actually is.

Going by the post above yours that is by Blurryfix who is from SRP then they do intend to make the larger filter size too, it will be good to have the options but for many people like me that already have a full range of 55mm filters then making an adapter for this size is great as you can re use your original blurfix filters. And in my case with my HD3 black it is vignette free in all modes using SRP low profile 55mm filters above and below water this will likely be the case with most black editions too but due to gopro loose tolerances it looks like there will still be the odd ones that may have a slight vignette.

Looking at this image from SRP's website, it looks like the color on the "dome" doesn't seem homogeneous. Is this an artifact of the picture or its actually noticeable but not on what the GoPro captures?

obj346geo247pg10p3.jpg

Attachments

• obj346geo247pg10p3.jpg
    obj346geo247pg10p3.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 558
@ Merxlin - Rest assured that SRP has or will not forget their loyal customers. I know for a fact that the crew at SRP has the BlurFix version well underway.
6 months, now, and no sign of an SRP filter for the loyals customers...:angrymob:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom