How much should an airfill be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is another reason why I enjoy South Florida so much. I have Fill Express about 2 miles away and they don't charge by "the bottle" they charge by the cubic foot so it doesn't matter what you use. No particular type of tank gets penalized by getting charge extra due to "Perceptions" from the shop owners.

I forgot what it actually comes to be for each of my tanks, we buy 1000 cubic feet at a time, and never feel ripped off when I go in with one of my hp tanks that has 1800 psi left from the previous dive.

This would be the best way. A local shop started doing that until Dept. of Weights and Measure got involved and decided they weren't measuring accurately enough and so the shop went back to "service charge" for a tank. But no one charges fills locally based on the volume of the tank. They just charge for a fill base don the "service charge to connect the tank" to avoid paying tax. But they double charge for doubles even though they only make a single connection. By actual volume pumped would be the most fair.

I am told there is a place in Weymouth Ma. (not too far from me) That still does air cards I am going to go see those guys soon. It is farther than I usually have to go but the fills might be significantly cheaper. Its a shame I really like the people at my current dive shop it is just tough to swallow when I bring in 6-8 tanks at a time at a cost of 50-72 bucks when at other locations are 30-40 with an air card. I dont have any experience with Nitrox but that sounds like a great ($7.50) deal from what I have read..

$7.50 is a great price and its cheaper than what some shops around here charge for air. The $4 with the membership is even better - most people who use the shop dive Nitrox because of the pricing. I'm going to be spoiled when I move.

My local quarry sells a book of 40 fill tickets for $160.00 for 3000 PSI tanks and $240.00 for over 3000 PSI tanks...so $4.00 and $6.00 respectively....I dive HP100 tanks but whenever they fill them unless you stand there are bug the guys they only fill to about 3050....so I just buy the low fill tickets and still get the same fill....if you dont buy the book and only buy single tickets , its $6.00 and $8.00 respectively

they kill you on Nitrox though....its $440.00 and $520.00 or $13.00 and $15.00 for single tickets

Here is another reason why I enjoy South Florida so much. I have Fill Express about 2 miles away and they don't charge by "the bottle" they charge by the cubic foot so it doesn't matter what you use.

With all of the hassles we see with hot/clod pressure loss how to they measure? It seems that taring the cylinder and going by weight on a big precision scale would be the only truly accurate measure.

While I applaud those that have built home systems to fill 1 or 2 tanks a week, I ask that you think of the costs for the lds that has much higher volume, maintains bigger banks and has shortere maint intervals than the home fille.

There is economics in volume. A dive shop's actual cost per fill (excluding labour) should be far less than my compressor.

Argentina (the shop where I feel):

Fill = ARS 50 (aprox USD 10)

My impression thru-out latin america, is that there is a de-facto standard.
That is my main conclusion, as the rates in most of the countries is the same.

Here is another reason why I enjoy South Florida so much. I have Fill Express about 2 miles away and they don't charge by "the bottle" they charge by the cubic foot so it doesn't matter what you use.

With all of the hassles we see with hot/clod pressure loss how to they measure? It seems that taring the cylinder and going by weight on a big precision scale would be the only truly accurate measure.

Wow that would be a fair way of doing things, I have 2 tanks sitting with about 1800 psi that I would just top off if i could find a shop that charges that way

Here in San Diego the going rate for air is 5.00 - any size HP or LP. A couple shops are a little more and you if you get a fill card a little less.

I have to check but I think we even pay 6.25% sales tax here in Ma. Imagine that, they even tax air! #taxachusetts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom