New Canon G15, S100 or other point and shoot or 4/3s for about the same $

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm posting this in the general photography forum as I don't want to exclude other brands. I've been happy with Canons thus far, but need a new camera. Not interested in the mega buck investment for a large system, but want a travel friendly system that is UW friendly and shoots full HD video (I do a bit of both). Opinions please. Thanks.

The Canon S100 seems to fit your criteria. It has been a very popular choice. But, there are so many good choices these days.
SeaLife cameras also offer much and are very popular.
I would look around at the photos taken by others on this board for a start and then ask more specific questions related to what you want to do with a camera. Check out UWP sites as well as they can often help guide you with a good camera that fits your needs.

The oly xz1 is down to $200 at amazon, and $300 for housing.

The canon g series are notorious for slow auto focus as the light dims. They are just not as good as most of the others, and frustrate you underwater.

For just a bit more, the latest greatest oly micro 4/3 camera will completely blow away all these p&s cams, in every respect. The epl5 and housing for about $1500, would kick butt in IQ, speed, focus, lag and every other way you can imagine
Don

I'm in the same situation. Looking for camera and housing. I'm torn between the Sony RX100 and something like a Oly e-pl3 & appropriate Nauticam housing.

I'm leaning to the RX100 + NA-RX100 housing unless I come across a compelling option that convinces me otherwise while being in the price range of at or under 2k for camera and housing.

I have had the S90 and was more than happy with it. I then got a 7D DSLR and find it is ok but too damn heavy travel. I think if you are serious you should look at a full frame DSLR. For serious non-pros. i think the 4/3 systems are good. I am now looking at the OMD EM5 to put in a housing. I think that is a good compromise between weight and performance especially for travelling divers.

If I was starting from scratch and did not have a ton of Nikkor lenses and camera bodies, I would be looking at the Olympus 4/3 systems, the housings look neat and easier to handle than SLR systems.

The Canon S100 seems to fit your criteria. It has been a very popular choice. But, there are so many good choices these days.
SeaLife cameras also offer much and are very popular.
I would look around at the photos taken by others on this board for a start and then ask more specific questions related to what you want to do with a camera. Check out UWP sites as well as they can often help guide you with a good camera that fits your needs.

The features of these two cameras cover my wish list fairly well. 1080p, RAW, housing choices,manual white balance, good low light performance.

---------- Post Merged at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:22 AM ----------

Wow great price, but would rather pay a little more for 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom