Nudibranch assortment from Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saudio

Contributor
Reaction score
Just returned from a two week trip to Indonesia, 4 days at Scuba Seraya and Bali and 10 days on the Komodo Dancer. Really, really great trip. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the location or the lodging/boat.

After a dozen dive trips to areas rich with these colorful sea slugs, I was astounded to see 32 new (for me) species in Komodo. Following are a selection of my favorite shots and the most vibrant and interesting of the species.

First, my favorite Nudi of the trip. The aptly named Magnificent Ceratosoma. If you look close on the first shot, there is a rider, a LadyBug Isopod, and more of them in the upper left of the frame. There are also a couple other riders in other photos, see if you can spot them. The marine life is so dense that many shots I took had other creatures somewhere in the frame.

nudimag_3497.jpg

nudimag_3397.jpg

Next, the rarest and tiniest of the Nudis we saw, the Donut Nubibranch. These oddballs were only about 1/3 of an inch end to end
donutnudi_1219.jpg

donutnudi_1238.jpg

donutnudi_1256.jpg

An assortment of other species
nudi_0586.jpg

nudi_0919.jpg

nudi_1174.jpg

nudiorange_0630.jpg

nudi_1270.jpg

nudi_1656.jpg

nudi_1741.jpg

nudi_2130.jpg

nudi_2153.jpg

nudi_2207.jpg

nudi_2982.jpg

nudi_3230.jpg

nudi_3337.jpg

nudi_3354.jpg

nudi_3391.jpg

nudi_3441.jpg

nudi_3471.jpg

Part 2. There is a 25 image maximum per post I didn't know about.

Certainly the strangest nudibranch Ive ever seen. A divemaster called me over on a night dive to show me this one and I didn't even know what I was taking a picture of
nudi_4101.jpg

Most nudis move at a snail's pace (as you might expect) but this one was quickly flashing her skirt up and down, as you see in this series.
nudidance_3850.jpg

nudidance_3852.jpg

nudidance_3851.jpg

Even the eggs of Nidibranchs are unusual and colorful.
nudieggs_1189.jpg

And here is where the eggs start. Nudis in compromised positions.
nudis_1247.jpg

nudis_1592.jpg

nudis_1988.jpg

Finally, another magnificent example of the species, this Spanish Dancer is nearly 10 inches long, huge for a nudibranch, and when disturbed it will swim to a new location. I caught this one swimming during a night dive and you can see how it got its name.
dancer_2720.jpg

dancer_2729.jpg

dancer_2733.jpg

dancer_2748.jpg

dancer_2751.jpg

dancer_2752.jpg

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
I wanna be there…

Wow. Simply amazing shots, thanks for sharing.
How close do you get to the nudis for those shots?
Do you use a lot of post shot editing?

Thanks.

Stunning shots Saudio, well done

What lenses are you using?

Wow. Simply amazing shots, thanks for sharing.
How close do you get to the nudis for those shots?
Do you use a lot of post shot editing?

Thanks.

thanks, and thanks to everyone.

I do relatively little editing, but I do do some. I usually try Auto Levels, and on about 1 out of 5 shots that improves the shot, on the rest I undo that. I usually don't have to crop Nudi shots, but I will if it needs it. Then, I will do some slight and selective sharpening, usually just to the face or eyes. Again, not needed often on Nudi shots. On the Spanish Dancer dancing shots, I did some backscatter removal to the black background.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 08:44 AM ----------

Stunning shots Saudio, well done

What lenses are you using?

Thank you! For macro, I use either a Canon 100mm Macro lens, or I use the Canon 18-55 kit zoom lens depending on what other subjects I expect to encounter on a dive. When in doubt, I take the 18-55 because I can do everything from moderate macro to moderate WA with one lens. With either of these lenses, I always have a SubSee 10X diopter on a swing mount so I can go super macro on the 100, and real macro with the 18-55 any time I want to.

The 18-55 lens with the diopter was used for most of these shots, but I do remember using the 100mm with diopter for the Donut Nudi shots. Those thing were TINY.

My rig, by the way, is a 7D with a Nauticam housing, with Z240's

Simply stunning !!!

Komodo is on my bucket list, perhaps it has just moved up a few slots .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom