Bonaire Lodging for First Timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sullivan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve read many threads regarding lodging and could use alittle assistance as I look into the possibility of a last minute trip over theholidays. I’m looking at Bonaire andCozumel so my main question here is regarding Bonaire lodging. Would love toknow your top 3 suggested places in Bonaire considering the following:
-Looking forsomething in the mid to higher end price range with oceanfront room. Would be even better if the place had akitchen and washer/dryer. Not interested in any “budget” lodging.
-Prefersmall to mid-size place versus a huge resort.
-Needs to bein safe area with safe and easy to sue dive gear storage.
-On site airor close to a place where we can easily get refills for driving around forshore drives
-A goodhouse reef would be nice but not a huge factor.
-Resort witha nice beach would be ideal for post diving relaxation.

Many thanksin advance for your recommendations.

Den Laman meets most of those criteria. No washer/dryer, but does have a nice kitchen. 16 units total, I believe, including a number that are ocean front. There's not much in the way of nice beaches anywhere on Bonaire, but there are fairly rock-free sandy areas to the left and right of Den Laman's pier that a number of other guests appeared to enjoy. Bari reef, located right off the peer, was one of my favorite dives when I was there earlier this month. Affiliated dive shop is Bonaire Dive & Adventure, located 20 feet away. See more in my trip report posted a couple days ago.

I can't comment on any other places, as I've just been to the one. I'm sure others will chime in.

James

although have never stayed there I think jameseg is giving you a good idea. A Nice beach does exist on Bonaire but its on the other side where the windsurfers go.

Yes you can have a nice beach on Bonaire along with good snorkeling and a pretty decent house reef. They also have the category of rooms you are looking for. Check out Plaza Resort Bonaire.

Check out Harbor Village is on the higher end resort that has a nice beach and most everything you're looking for. Also look at VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner. There are units there that might do you right.

Den Laman definitely fits your wish list. No washer and dryer IN the unit, but they do have a couple on site you can use (fee). Also Michael at Chat n Browse nearby has a laundry service, so you wouldn't have to do your own. When we go to Bonuaire, we always stay at Den Laman in a 1-bedroom ocean front condo for 2 weeks, and do a load of laundry at the end of the first week so we only have to take enough clothes for a week instead of 2.

The Plaza fits the larger resort category. Might not meet your definition of small to midsize - IIRC it's actually the largest resort on Bonaire. The Invasion is going there next summer as it's one of the few properties that can accommodate the 100+ divers we're expecting to sign up. Check out the Invasion Q&A for more info inc. my overhead map with resort details: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...tions-about-bonaire-invasion.html#post6532003 I think the lagoon villas have kitchens, they're the 2 rows of single roof buildings to the lower left.

Harbour Village has the nicest long stretch of beach, but not the best shore dive. It's also by far the nicest resort on Bonaire. As you move north from there, Eden Beach has a decent beach but fronted in some areas by ironshore at the water's edge. Here's the beach at Den Laman/Sand Dollar condos: http://www.bonairepros.com/images/Accommodations/3 x 2 Den Laman 2-1.jpg - shared by both resorts. Farther north Buddy Dive's "beach" is a strip of sand on top of the ironshore. A ladder is needed for water access.

If you've given up on the beach, maybe look at Belmar Apt's in Belnem also. They're quieter, a smaller 22unit complex. Nice amenities, full kitchens, A/C only in the bedrooms (typical on Bonaire) Ground floor units have private outside locking dive closets - upstairs a locker at the diveshop 50' away. It's really quiet there at night and there's a night watchman. Very accommodating staff and very clean. For off-site shore diving at BelMar tanks are at the dive shop street side at the south end of the property. Your key gets you in 24/7. If you dive north, they're the other Buddy Dive facility so you get use of Buddy's Drive-thru tank pickup also. BelMar is on the Corporal Meiss dive site and has a dive dock 50' from the ground floor patios - upstairs units have stairs in the back. It's a decent dive, we did it more than once.

Downside is you have to drive to town for food, there's nothing in that area. About a 5min drive around the lagoon and past the airport. I never heard a plane there all week with the windows open at night. Some closer condo/villa properties - Port Bonaire or Waterlands Village - are in the flight path. Waterlands is an upscale newer small complex if that doesn't bother you - if there's still a 2AM KLM flight it might...

I'd book something real soon, I checked a couple of upscale beachfront private condos I know of but they're all booked solid thru January.

Everybody has an affiliation with a dive shop. Most resorts have one on-site, many of the private condos/villas have a discount pkg. with the closest one. Some even will deliver tanks as requested daily. Every dive resort has a decent shore dive also - most on named dive sites. Our next trip we're probably staying at Den Laman.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom