Mangled toe.... and pride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis, than you for the lovely reply!

I will do my darnedest to prevent this from happening again! And I do hope you are right and my story helps someone else prevent an injury like mine.

As divers we are so conditioned to thinking about preventing and managing accidents in the water that mundane perils on the shore and boat are overlooked...

I have healed completely and the new nail even looks normal. I dove in Malaysia in August and was back in Curacao in September - so all is well!

I prefer to wear my running type shoes at and around boat docks and will keep
them on for a bit while on the boat. I missed a step on a dock once while wearing
sandals and without any protection over the toes after tripping and falling realized
my big toe was quite a mess. While sandals seem to be the way to go in warmer climates
they can increase the the chances of tripping and offer less pretection than say running
shoes.

Horrible experience for anywhere, but also a sad way to ruin a dive trip. :sad:

Weights & tanks are heavy & dangerous so due care is prudent. Scares the caca out of me when I hear either fall. :eek: Our feet are our foundations of course, and injured toes can really throw you off balance. Glad you saved yours.

I used to be a flip-flop fan until I realized how dangerous they are, and there are other risks to feet injuries day to day. I wear cheap beach shoes on the dock, beach, boat up until time to switch to dive booties - and I have mistakenly worn them as dive shoes with no problems. $5 at Walmart. A failing weight or tank can still injure but the impact will be spread somewhat.

I had a patient who broke her foot when a frozen turkey fell from the freezer. Life is full of odd little incidents. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident and blown out toe. I learned never to put weights on a bench, but I once smashed my own mask with a weight belt. I no longer wear a weight belt having given them up for integrated weights, and the first thing I do after taking off my mask is attach it to the chest strap on my bc.

That sounds good! Now if I only knew what the SS BP/W setup was, I'd be set.

- Bill

Stainless Steel Backplate and Wing. Lots of controversy there, but it's what I wear. I don't wear lead..... I'd hate to drop that backplate on my toe, though.

Please remember to leave your weights on the floor and, probably far more important: concentrate while suiting up!

Chachita, thank you for your post and for your helpful advice. I am glad that your foot recovered nicely.

I always wear wet suit boots on the boat but when shore diving and getting gear set up I may not have them on yet.

Gotta see if I can get a pair of steel toed Croc's since that is what I usually wear when diving. I've thought this would be good for a number of reasons over the years I've been wearing them.

And not being facetious here. I wear steel toes five days a week for nine to ten hours a day in the machine shop. And that has come in handy many times. I even keep an old pair for cutting grass and yard work at home.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I they make a lead toed booty I'd wear them. My feet float like crazy and I can't stand ankle weights.

Back
Top Bottom