Boat capsized in pompano beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ex-wife worked with her at Sandia.... Small world.

Thanks Wookie, this is helpful. One of the news articles (I believe the Sun-Sentinel) includes an account of one of the passengers which describes the "rogue" wave washing over the stern.

I was so stunned when I saw the Coral Princess on the news because of how often I've been out with SFDH this year. Those guys are just some of the best crews I've ever been out with. Such a terrible tragedy when something like this happens and its sounds like it was a total freak of nature that caused it. I can't imagine what the family and crews are going though.

The story mentions all of the people who dove in to save the victims. Sounds like people really came together out there.

The woman who died was from my LDS. She was a great person, what a shame.

I am so sorry that this occured. It was very fortunate that not more people were injured, and deeply saddened at the loss. That inlet can be nasty and being on a CAT allways gives me the willy's, warranted or not. As Frank pointed out about the Hobie's, we used to say if you have NOT flipped one endo style, you are taking up to much room on the course! lol

I hope all at SFDC can move past all this.
Eric

The Deco Stop

I was on the trip, and posted an account on TDS.

Frank, you were spot on in your analysis. It pitch-poled. It was a very stable riding boat, but once one of the front edges went under there was no hope.
zaaddough: I'm sorry to hear you went through this, sorry to hear about the diver that passed away and sorry for the crew and staff at SFDH: I've been out with them a bunch of times in the past few years and their big boats always seemed so nice and stable and the captains seemed to be very decent seamen. Weird things can sometimes happen with marine conditions especially at some of the smaller inlets as happened in the Jupiter inlet two years ago when the experienced fishing boat captain fell off his boat as it nearly rolled over. I wonder if you could copy and paste your account on SB. I was not able to access you post on the decostop site

Zaaddough's post from the Deco Stop:

I've been lurking for quite awhile, but haven't posted before. Never had something worthwhile to contribute to the forum.

I was on the fateful trip. I flew into Ft Lauderdale to do a few days of diving. Went out with PDC on Wednesday, to the Miller Lite. Great day for diving, though a bit rough each way through the inlet. Thursday PDC didn't get enough interest to schedule a trip, so I went out on the Coral Princess. Leaving the harbour was without incident. Seas were surprisingly calm, considering the small craft advisory. Nobody on board was sick. First dive on Abbey Too had moderate vis and surge. Second dive (didn't catch name) had more surge and worse vis.

Boat then headed in, with again fairly smooth ride. Got to mouth of inlet and captain told everybody to sit down. We were in neutral while he waited for the right moment to dash in. A very large wave hit our starboard aft corner. Boat pitched forward on the diagonal, with some water coming in over back. Forward port corner went under. We then instantly rolled over from starboard to port. Not enough time for anyone to react. Some were hit by tanks, others by the large dry boxes that shifted.

Immediately we were in the water. Family members anxiously calling out for missing. A few people were trapped under the boat in air pocket under the glass bottom. They were quickly gotten out. One woman did not make it out. She was on the starboard side in middle of boat, with roof over her and captains console in front of her. Amazing, really, there were not more serious injuries.

Within minutes we were surrounded by rescue craft. Numerous fishing, law enforcement, and tow boats immediately began pulling us out of the water. Some swam to the nearby shore. My thanks again to all who helped us out, in a very confusing and dangerous situation.

I was one of Nina's dive buddies on the trip, along with her nephew. She spent the dives taking pictures. She was obviously a very good diver. I didn't know her well, but am saddened by her loss. My sympathies go out to her family.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

All posts related to a side debate have been deleted or edited. Please keep in mind that this is the A&I forum which has specific rules and a need to stay on the topic at hand. Marg, ScubaBoard Senior Moderator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom