Best Anti-Fog for tec divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've had like crazee bad problems w my mask and all fog and stuff she spits on my mask 4 me sometymes! ha ha it's like totally crazee but 4 whatevr reason her DM spit is like waaaay better than mine LOLZ!

I have often wondered if it is something in the enzymes of our spit. I dive rec, many conditions, 38 degrees up to 76 degrees (average temp probably 50), masks with purge valve and without. I have never had a foggy mask. I do periodically clean it with baby shampoo, and let dry until the next dive, then spit, rinse and dive. I've done dives up to 70 minutes, or shorter due to max depth before entering deco.

I wonder about the enzymes.....what gives?

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 12:22 AM ----------

All this is very good but I mostly use spit now <(i keep forgetting the shampoo :)). A properly cleaned mask is the basic requirement.

I have been diving under ice and in the tropics. No difference.

Belmont, Why does spit work for some of us and not for others? I've been spitting in my masks over the years, different manufacturers too, and no difference....I just don't have fog issues. I quit diving for a few years and when I came back and heard about "anti-fog" I just couldn't believe it! So, I'm still looking for some theory here to explain the preponderance of this thread that most posters cannot rely on their spit.

I am in no way being critical, I'm just wondering if there is some biology behind this, and no, I will not sell my spit!

DIR guys are trained to dive blind anyway so who cares it if fogs lol!

:rofl3:

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 11:43 AM ----------

Originally Posted by SeahorseDeb

[/QUOTE]Belmont, Why does spit work for some of us and not for others? I've been spitting in my masks over the years, different manufacturers too, and no difference....I just don't have fog issues. I quit diving for a few years and when I came back and heard about "anti-fog" I just couldn't believe it! So, I'm still looking for some theory here to explain the preponderance of this thread that most posters cannot rely on their spit.

I am in no way being critical, I'm just wondering if there is some biology behind this, and no, I will not sell my spit![/QUOTE]

I'm no scientist but here are some of my thoughts on the subject, surely some are way off, but here goes.

I think it involves physics and chemistry.

Surface tension that prevent water molecules from sticking together. like oil droplets on water, is the cause of the problem.

If the glass surface is covered with contaminants very tiny water droplets aggregate on each particle and form a sphere that acts as a lens diffracting light rays. The effect is like looking trough a frosted or fogged up window.

When we use spit, the enzymes that are present in it and serve in the beginning of the digestive process by breaking down the bonds in the food molecules, keep the water droplets from forming thus creating a smooth surface.

A very thin film of water molecules, all joined together, letting light trough like a regular window pane.

Any surfactant like spit, shampoo, detergent will give similar results.

Spit is easily available but varies in it's composition, it probably has more digestive enzymes in it if one is close to meal time or hungry and less when spit has to serve to simply keep mouth tissues hydrated, personal variations certainly exist.

Baby shampoo should be preferred because it's a good surfactant and will not irritate eyes, I've had a dive scrapped because of detergent in my mask, some of it went in my eyes. It's also way less expensive that the stuff sold to divers.

Also the less surface contaminant, like skin oils and release agents used in the manufacturing process, there is on the glass surface to attract those pesky water droplets the less chance there will be for fog formation.

Cleaning methods vary greatly but should involve a strong detergent or mild alkali with some mechanical abrasion like the one offered by tooth paste, oh...also patience and elbow grease.

Cheers

Last edited:
Belmont, You have an interesting theory!!! As for the baby shampoo, I've always kept a small sample bottle in my save-a-dive kit. I never knew it could double as a defogger ! I've learned yet again, today! Love this forum! Happy diving!

It comes in a black bottle, of course.

I hear if you put a Halcyon logo on it you can charge an extra $5. :D

I have only used spit since 2004. Tried other commercial stuff and none of it works as good. If I think the mask may be stubborn like a new one I eat pepperoni the night before. Seems the little acid reflux cuts through anything no fog wants to come near spit with a bit of pepperoni and garlic mixed in. :=)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have only used spit since 2004. Tried other commercial stuff and none of it works as good. If I think the mask may be stubborn like a new one I eat pepperoni the night before. Seems the little acid reflux cuts through anything no fog wants to come near spit with a bit of pepperoni and garlic mixed in. :=)

. . . or, you could always top that pizza with a little baby shampoo!

'Spit'. The product, not saliva. an excellent defogger. It's also fun to watch the reaction from TSA people when they examine the contents of my one quart liquids carry on and read the lable.. It reminds me of the "URINE SAMPLE" stickers I'd put on small packages I sent to friends in Jamaica. Greatly improved the chances of being delivered intact.

WITH OUT READING ALL THE POSTS. I had a similar problem untill i read the instructions and let the defogger dry before wiping or rincing. Tightening my mask also kept me from exhaling through my nose and fogging.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim, That is good to know, I doubt I will ever be out your way diving, but if I were, I will not unzip your drysuit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom