Novice Diver: Open Water training recommendations for the end of December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ExF

New
Reaction score
Dear all,

My partner and myself are complete diving novices who intend to undertake an open water course in Thailand around the end of December - Early January 2013. Picking the best possible location is still proving daunting, so any advice would be more then welcome. A little additional info: 1) Cost of training is fairly unimportant, quality and modest group size much more so. 2) We hope for an attractive "training location/experience, as it isn't certain that we'll have time for the additional "fun-dives" afterwards.

Our initial choice was Ko Tao (mostly as it is the best known location), yet we understand that the water conditions around this time of the year can be disappointing. A school which seems to be highly regarded is Master Divers.

A second alternative was Phuket, but the local scenery seems a little disappointing and the distance to the diving sites rather large. Wrong?

Finally we considered Ko Phi Phi, yet here the time of year really has an impact on accomodation. Most available hotels are either very expensive (350-400 dollar+ / night), full, or of highly dubious quality. We are willing to make compromises however if the diving / new year festivities are especially pleasant. A diving school which we find appealing is Blue View Divers.

We are now looking at Krabi or Khao Lak, but a little less reliable info seems to be available for these locations..

Any advice on location/schools would be most appreciated. Thanks kindly!

I would recommend private instruction. You would get quality training and still have a lot of time during the tour portion of your training dives to enjoy the underwater scenery. When the course has larger groups, it's sometimes the case that students are rushed through the training or that there is limited time during the tour portion of the training dives for a relaxing and enjoyable "fun" dive.

As to your question of locale, I can't claim to provide an unbiased reply, but I do know that Phuket isn't what you seem to understand in regard to local scenery being disappointing. It's a large island and has a diversity of areas. I feel confident that you could find a part of the island that would appeal to you for your lodging.

A possibility is also Koh Chang, in end December we are in the middle of high season, with really good diving.
Most of the dive sites are shallow, so they are good for novice divers.

Though you should be aware that a lot of the hotels are beginning to have sold out, already now.
And the price ranges from 15$-500$ per night.
If you are interested in hearing more please let me know.

Foremost: Thanks kindly for your replies and advice!

Koh Chang is a nice location, yet one that we have visited two years ago (without diving). So we'll be looking to venture elsewhere on our current trip.

We'll certainly consider your suggestions Quero, and have another good look at the opportunities offered by Phuket itself.

Phuket has a lot to offer, but if you want more diving after the course why not consider doing it on a liveaboard? This way you do not have the expense of a hotel and get great scenery and diving all in one. You also get more time with the instructor as they are available on the boat to answer questions and give advise.
You can do this on a 2 day 1 night trip or up to 4 days and nights at different locations. You can send me a PM if you want more information.

In December as per other posts the Andamen side (Phuket) would be better as conditions favor it mid October - April/May. I really liked Phi Phi as it is so close to the Bidas. I would not recommend a liveaboard if your a complete novice. In fact if your unsure, try a "Discover Scuba" which in PADI terms is a try dive. Most dive shops will credit the experience towards full cert. It also allows you to get acquainted with your instructor before you commit to a full course. Don't be pressured. There are many operators and it is quite competitive as you most already know. E-learnig is an excellent way to get things started before you reach Thailand if your convinced you will complete the full course. PM if you would like a personal recommendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom