Starting over from scratch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TennDECA

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Friends,

A little background on me: I've had my Advanced Open Water card for about 23 years. I have about 85 dives logged, and was president of a large university SCUBA club for a number of years while in college. That said, due to all the things that pop up in life, I haven't been diving in almost 12 years and no longer own any gear. I plan on correcting that and start diving again next spring/summer.

As such, I'm planning on starting from scratch and going through a PADI Open/Advanced Open Water + Altitude class over the winter to refresh all the knowledge and skills, and to buy an all new set of gear. I'm looking for any insight/advice the board can provide regarding gear selection, etc, as some of the technology has advanced and, frankly, I'm not up to speed on the new stuff.

My diver profile:

Most dives will be local or within a days drive. Most will be cool or cold water. Half will be altitude (I live at Lake Tahoe) half will be at sea level (Bay Area, Monterey, etc).

Looking for advice on exposure suits (wetsuit vs. drysuit), BC, regulator, fins, computers, etc. My budget is about $2500, give or take.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

If I had to start all over, here are some things I'd insist on for myself:

• Buy everything used
    • Some people feel uncomfortable with this but I've saved probably thousands of dollars going this route
  • Don't spend over $200 for a computer
    • This is unless you're going to do some tech diving that requires an advanced computer, I'd just buy a large-faced wrist computer such as a an Oceanic, Aeris or Suunto and bungee it to your wrist. Ebay and - to a much lesser degree Craigslist - has lots of opportunities for these. Buy a mini-SPG for your air.
  • Get a drysuit but get it used
    • Since you're in such a cold area I can't imagine not having a drysuit. I love my Bare NexGen and I saw one go for $300 on Ebay the other day. I kind of have a leg up here because I actually like working on my drysuit ie replacing seals. If you're looking for something w. perfect seals "off the shelf" I'd say that you can get a great suit for under $600. Use Polartec clothes for undergarments.
  • Don't spend over $200 for a BCD
    • Lots of modern and barely used BCDs get sold for under $200 on Ebay all the time.

Of course buying used takes a little more effort. But I actually enjoy hunting down deals. I could easily end up with a full set up for half your budget, and I'm talking newer, very good condition gear. You didn't say exactly what kind of diving you do (although you did mention the location) so that's why I prefaced my answer as if I had to start all over. I do recreational shore and boat dives.

Completely agree with buying used vs new. You will spend half as much easily. BUT you need to have reg sets serviced before diving and have the rest of your equipment (anything with a purge valve) checked out by a professional to make sure it is in proper working order.

I buy and sell stuff all the time and always have a surplus of good used gear. If I can help, give me a shout.

Recreational diving, some from shore, some from a boat. Strongly considering a drysuit (+class).

Pros/cons of a wrist vs console mounted computer?

For a different view, I will weigh in for new gear, which will be warrantied, for which you can probably get one or two years free servicing as part of the purchase price, and which you can keep record of proper servicing. You can also make sure it fits. If you buy used, buy it from someone near you, where you cn inspect , try it on, try it out, and get information on use and service history. Some used gear is near new, other items are VERY used, some is abused. I will recommend the aqua lung legend regulator for its versatility and "tuneability," which has been a good cold water performer for me. Welcome back to diving. Everyone will have n opinion on the best exposure gear, etc. Lister to input from those who dive where you will be diving.
DivemasterDennis

WELCOME BACK!!!!

Having been in your shoes (8 years away), maybe it is me, but I don't see the reason to retake classes unless you feel so inclined that it is what you need. Honestly, you could buy/borrow the current manuals/DVDs of the agency you desire, and read the "new" curriculum. Yes, a few things have changed, but not the core of it, so if you were proficient, it is like riding a bike. Perhaps a refresher with an instructor to tailor your refinement of what need as opposed to a complete class. If you end up in a class that divides up the instructor's time too much, you likely will be "bored". I just had a friend do the same thing, but since the class was only three divers, the ability to modify the instruction made it really helpful. If you can get in on a small sized group, it might be valuable.

Maybe consider "Rescue Diver" to supplement your skill set.

As to gear, read in the forums here, and ask pointed questions. Seek out other divers in your area, as well as dive shops. Become informed and educated. The last thing you want to do is pick up any magazine.... There might be some good deals on things you want new or used, so don't rule out either option. Keep in mind, a shop is going to push what they sell, and the divers associated with the shop will be byproducts of the system (or maybe I should say "buy-products" - :D ). Perhaps the most important factor is servicing gear. Keep in mind, you can also ship it to places for service if you can deal with the turn-a-round time.

Many options.... many solutions.

Last edited:
Welcome back! The Zoop is pretty economical even if you buy it new. Scuba Pro Jets are still primo in my view, especially if you are diving dry.

Rescue Diver definitely on my short list of classes, as I'm a Paramedic for my day job. Dive medicine classes too.

I came back to diving a little over two years ago and I suggest that for the best gear to look at are the old reliables. Leave the cutting edge gear for the people that gravitate that direction anyway. I went with an inexpensive computer, because I knew that I was more interested in bottom time, depth and temp, than more complicated stuff. I re-read much of the literature I already had and did a pool review class to review basic skills. What was safe 20 years ago is still safe today, even if styles have changed a bit.

Used gear is a lot cheaper than new, but you will get lemons. I bought a light on e-bay, not realizing that it was an incandescent bulb and not LED. I would spring for the extra money on an exposure suit. fit, comfort and seal are too important to risk buying a lemon. I am looking at my current rig with a more educated eye than what was the norm 20 years ago. Places like SCUBA Board have been very educational and you have time to re-educate before buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom