How has Rescue Diver helped you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It effects me everyday. Everyday when I take divers or students I am prepared and ready for the worst to happen. Luckily I have never had a serious situation develop, maybe because of the frame of mind the Rescue course taught me many dives ago. I have had many panicked / stressed divers U/W, and on the surface, all dealt with by quick affective measures resulting in a 'non-issue'.

The rescue course benefits me as a instructor as it forces me to study, refresh and practice my own rescue skills prior to teaching the course!

i used my rescue diver and instructor training when two cars ran headfirst into each other in front of me. No details, but rescue diver rules and training can be applied to other situations other than scuba diving.

It strengthened the First Aid skills I had learned in the military, and gave me a lot more confidence that I would be able to assist if something happened to someone else. It also taught me to stop and think and not rush into things as much. Less than a month after I had gotten mine, we had a free diver from our boat have an accident. I was able to step up and control the situation until we got back to the port where the paramedics took control. I highly encourage all divers to go through the course, and really put your heart into it. Pay attention and refresh as often as you can, as you never know when you may need to fall back on your training. I am planning to take the EFRI course here next month so not only can I tell others about rescue and first aid, but can be active in teaching them the skills. Not only for diving, but for day to day life as well.

My original "OW" cert in the 60s included much of what is currently in most OW/AOW/Rescue classes today. However, I got a PADI Rescue Diver cert decades later in part as a refresher. I dive solo so I can't say it helped me that much, although I think it is a useful course.

The funny thing is that the only time I've used the skills in the course happened during the class. I had just brought my "victim" into shore and was returning to the float to retrieve the gear we doffed when I noticed a woman nearby who appeared to be in trouble. I assisted her to the float, had her rest a bit and then towed her back to the dive park stairs where her BF buddy said "I'll take over from here." I said "Where were you when she needed help?" Topside I was wondering if one of my many instructor friends at the park that day had set me up on this one, but no one had. It was a real rescue scenario (although not one involving a life-threatening situation).

Good info here, I am also considering the course and had some of the same questions.

I just finished my rescue diver course. I do most of my diving with my wife as my buddy, and frankly, knowing what to do to prevent panic and save each other makes me feel better in the water. I found the course to be very similar in concepts and training style to lifeguarding. I used to be a d cross certified lifeguard and lifeguard instructor, and aside from the skills done at depth, the rescue techniques are very similar.

Since I just got certified, I haven't had to use the skills yet, but thinking back to the last dive trip we made, there are things I may have done differently. Now I know how to better handle many situations, and hopefully that will make me a safer diver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom