Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, she did not miss it. Order for pink placed today.

Did you happen to order this online somewhere? Our Atomic LDS is closed for the season here so I've been looking for one online.....no luck so far!

I have just got back from 9 days diving in gozo
my cobalt worked without any problems till the last day when after diving quite deep the computer locked up at 21.7 meters and has stayed on and in dive mode since, i wonder if i re updated this would solve my problem but am worried this may occur again in the future luckily i was diving with two computers and so managed to surface safely using my older uemis computer has this happened to anyone else and can it be simply reset any advice would be useful i have scrolled through this thread but it is quite long and i never see anything relating to my issue i purchased the cobalt recently and it is ser no 2112-07985 many thanks from neil in the uk
Neil,

A locked depth display indicates that the sensor has sent bad data to the processor- the program then locks it out to avoid giving misleading info and to make the failure obvious. The most likely cause is a leak, but it needs to go back for warranty repair/ replacement. A reset might result in a normal display again, but it still has a problem that could re-occur. Sorry for this, but it really needs to be returned.

Ron

Many thanks for your reply, i sent it back on monday thinking it was more serious than a lock up and am now just awaiting the outcome.
It happened near the end of the trip so was not the end of the world + i was using a back up computer.
Up until the fault it was working great and was really pleased with it.
I have used atomic regs and mask for the last few years with no issues and am pleased with atomics service to customers and just see this as a bit of bad luck
on my part
hopefully it will be resolved soon so i can carry on using a great piece of kit
BY THE TIME ATOMIC RECEIVE THE COMPUTER THE BATTERY WILL BE FLAT AS IT WAS IN CONSTANT DIVE MODE.
HOPEFULLY THEY WILL PICK UP ON THIS AND NOT JUST THINK I SENT IT BACK BECAUSE IT HAD A FLAT BATTERY AND THEY RESET IT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME.
I SENT IT VIA SIMPLY SCUBA IN FAVERSHAM IN KENT UNITED KINGDOM

Although it looks like a nice computer I can't resist commenting that is priced higher than a Petrel with less functionality

Haven't used a Petrel. Do wish to comment on the issue of functionality.

I started out with an Oceanic Atom1.0; later moved up to a VT3, which I still use as a back up (& because I think it's records temp.s more accurately, & as a wrist 'depth gauge' I can glance at).

Despite having & using a VT3, I bought a Cobalt. Why? The VT3 is not lacking functionality (since I dislike digital compasses & wear a Suunto SK7 wrist compass anyway).

The interface: I can adjust for time zone changes, tank size & gas mix without needing to consult a miserable-to-deal-with manual.

Built-in rechargeable battery so I don't need to open the thing up.

Built-in dive log can hold a whole lot of dives.

The interface was the main reason. It makes the functionality a lot more available to me, so without adding 'functions,' it's got a lot more practical functionality for me.

Richard.

P.S.: My last Bonaire trip, at a dive site we realized my buddy's Geo 2.0 was set for air, not the EAN 32 we were diving. We tried to figure out (no manual at hand) how to change the setting. Bwah-hah-hah!!! Didn't happen.

I am sure there are computers that are cheaper and have a broader function set. That said, I am not sure there is one that is easier to pick up and, well just use. No manual required, just go dive. That's what I wanted for me and for my wife. The Cobalt fits my needs perfectly.

The X1 was called the iPhone of dive computers when it first came out. By eliminating buttons, and using intuitive menus and an accelerometer, navigation felt a lot like an iPhone. By contrast, the Cobalt still uses directional buttons. I would argue that the sliders on the Uemis computer are a lot more innovative. Anyway, each person has the freedom of choice.

Eric Fattah

Can't find it on the common online vendor sites. Reason?

Can't find it on the common online vendor sites. Reason?
Uemis went out of business last year, if that is what you were searching for. The buttons on the Cobalt were a deliberate choice, being easy to use with gloves, not requiring a penetration of the housing, and ergonomically related to the feedback from the display results. Other mechanisms can certainly work as well- the interface quality/ experience has much more to do with the internal logic and structure of the software than the particular physical input mechanics, within reason.

Ron

---------- Post added November 29th, 2012 at 03:38 PM ----------

I have a question for the Cobalt user community.
We have included, in all our Cobalt firmware versions, help text at the bottom of the screen for most Settings functions- text telling users what the particular button or menu item does, within the possibilities of a few of lines of text. The question is: How important or useful are those help descriptions? Would the Cobalt be as useable without them? Are they useful in come contexts, like Gas Settings, but not in others? When we discuss adding features, screen real estate always is an issue, and the help text takes quite a bit. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your comments.

Ron

We have included, in all our Cobalt firmware versions, help text at the bottom of the screen for most Settings functions- text telling users what the particular button or menu item does, within the possibilities of a few of lines of text. The question is: How important or useful are those help descriptions? Would the Cobalt be as useable without them? Are they useful in come contexts, like Gas Settings, but not in others? When we discuss adding features, screen real estate always is an issue, and the help text takes quite a bit. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your comments.

Ron

I don't think they're necessary, but I've been using a Cobalt for some time now and that makes it hard for me to quantify the degree to which this change might degrade the user interface's functionality. Would it be possible to have a firmware setting to toggle between the X level of features with them ON, and X+Y level of features with them OFF?

What new features are under consideration? You going to add trimix capabilities? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom