Rob Mills, Calgary Alberta, passes in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Local dive expert dies on Caribbean excursion
(The story mentions discussion on the shop's FB page, but there has been nothing posted there in the last week: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dive-Shop/109427879129480?ref=ts&fref=ts )
The owner of a local scuba diving shop has died, though circumstances surrounding his death are still unknown.

Friends took to Facebook to announce the death of Rob Mills, who owned The Dive Shop on Macleod Trail with partner September Mills.

She is said to be making her way back to Canada from Bonaire, a Caribbean island and popular dive spot.

A man who answered the phone at the Dive Shop on Monday said staff members are still trying to find out what happened.

“We’re going through a grieving process,” he said, declining to comment further.

One friend wrote on the Dive Shop’s Facebook page that several divers were with Mills when he died Friday, but “in these situations, it can take up to a year for an investigation to make any conclusions.”

Others wrote to express their shock and sorrow over the death of Mills, whom they described as a passionate diver, friend, Manchester United fan and respected instructor who inspired others to obtain their certification.

According to the Dive Shop’s website, Mills is certified with the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), and was a service technician, a certified tank inspector and avid diver and teacher.

He started diving in 1999, according to the site, which noted his preferences for cold water and technical diving.

The store remains open as requested by Mills’ wife, friends said online.

Rob and September Mills are also listed as instructors with Undersea Adventures, which offers scuba certification training on dive trips.

I had heard that there was a RB death on Bonaire, but no details were available. Is this the same incident?
Condolences to family and friends.
John

Yes this is the same incident, happened last week. Condolences to September and the shop employees

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh wow... I just don't know what to say... I was talking to Rob just a couple weeks ago... wow.

My deepest sympathies to September and everyone at the shop.

I live in Calgary Alberta and there was a 50 yr old diver that past away in Bonaire. He was a Padi scuba instructor for many years and a very skilled diver who owns one of the dive shops in Calgary. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and the staff at the Dive shop he owned. Haven't heard any details, but he died way too soon in the prime of his life.

RIP Rob

When a leader passes it certainly is a reality check.

The questions that come to mind: " What happened to our leader?; How could our leader pass? "; " How can this be possible? "

My condolences.

Still in shock......this has been a horrific year......rest in peace Rob.

I never knew this person and my best wishes to his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only met Rob a couple of times at a few outlaws events, but it was quite a shock to hear about this. Condolences to September and the whole Dive Shop family. Rob will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom