First dive in Bonaire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CindyMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys!

After a long day of travelling, we got to Bonaire last night. We did the required Marine Park check-in and then were off to do a shore dive. We're staying at the Plaza Resort, and I gotta say, the stuff I saw was amazing (this is my first "big" ocean dive experience). Lots of pretty fish. Saw a flounder and the neatest thing - a baby spotted eel!

With my usual grace, I managed to fall entering the water. I knocked my husband over and he fell on his mask. Finally got me up and off I went into the water. I understand the concept of a wall now. I also got to 50 feet a lot faster than I thought possible. Had some issues getting down and staying down, but sorta kinda got there. A boat dive was planned for 2pm today, but hubs and I skipped it - we were pretty tuckered out from the dive (ended at 1220). It has been raining most of the morning, making for interesting challenges. Just didn't want to feel hurried or rushed. I want to enjoy my first boat dive.

The rooms (standard junior suite) are large! The bathroom is large. Things do move a little slower, but that's okay. Power was out for a bit, but is back on now. Overall, I like the Plaza, it's a large property, so prepare for some walking.

Mods, feel free to move this to Travel section if you feel it's appropriate.

Looking forward a great boat dive tomorrow morning!

Thanks for the update, CindyMac. Have a great time, be safe, and keep the reports coming. We're headed to Bonaire with the SB Invasion in June. :)

Gary - I saw that! I don't know what the arrangements are, but we took a flight that stopped at Curacao then onto Bonaire. I know one airline has a non-stop that leaves early on Saturday and returns late on the next Saturday. That would be a great flight. We were exhausted from just sitting in the airport!

Hoping for no rain tomorrow!

Living close to Atlanta we can catch a Delta flight to just about anywhere. Our direct flight to Bonaire leaves around 10:00 AM and arrives shortly after 2:00 PM. :D

Living close to Atlanta we can catch a Delta flight to just about anywhere. Our direct flight to Bonaire leaves around 10:00 AM and arrives shortly after 2:00 PM. :D

That's the flight to take. We could have done Charlotte to Bonaire on Delta, but the trip was arranged by someone else. I'd have paid extra for the Delta flight. Less hassle.

Dive today?

It's auto-correct via Tapatalk 2, figure it out. :D

Today I did my first boat dives! On our boat, we split into 2 groups - the really experienced and those of us who are relatively new divers (that would include me). Worked on buoyancy for a bit and then did some diving. We went to No Name Beach first (Klein Bonaire). The surface was a bit rough. I got down okay and stayed down pretty good. The viz is awesome and there was a nice diversity of marine life. Went to Something Special for the second dive and it lived up to its name! A sea turtle came and swam through us - terrific! Lots of nice marine sea life: spotted drums, parrot fish, smooth trunks, trumpet fish and just a lot of itsy-bitsy stuff! Had issues with buoyancy, but got to my all time deepest dive of a whopping 57 ft! Absolutely beautiful day and the water is sublime!

Can't say enough about our boat crew, Herr & Dorta. Both are terrific with helping those of us who are buoyancy challenged.

Would have liked to have gotten in another dive this afternoon, but I noticed that everything was still rocking 2 hours after I got off the boat. Got a little Bonine and feeling much, much better. An extra dive would not have been a good idea at all.

I so envy y'all going to Bonaire next year. I may see if I can plot and scheme to get back down here! I like the resort - it's a fairly standard (to me) Caribbean resort. If you rent a car here, be aware that all they have a straight drives. I haven't done that in years!

I want to go back to Something Special......

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

Once I get this buoyancy thing down, life is gonna be sweet!!! Worked on that some today. First wreck dive, the Hilma Hooker. Tarpon and the usual marine life. Went to Joanne's Kiss off Klein Bonaire - fabulous diversity. Getting my deep dives in 75ft, 87ft!

Life is good!

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 04:16 PM ----------

Oh, did another dive from 18 Palms, the resort reef. Went back over the wall. Was cruising around 90ft then started to drift back up. Hubs went to 100ft just to say he did and turned right back around. When I float up, I float up. Getting lots of good advice from some terrific divers!

Two great boat dives today....but, on the second I got scolded by the dive master. We were supposed to stay around 60ft. The sights were beautiful and the viz out of this world and trying to stay out of everybody's way, I wound up at 89ft. OOPS. It's amazing how you can get scolded underwater. Must remember to watch that depth on my computer! The dives were awesome, more help with buoyancy and getting somewhat better.

Some of our group went for a shore dive. Stayed behind - getting a little too much sun - resting.

I want to come back here soon. Going to start playing the lottery a little more seriously!

These are pictures of my husband on Tuesday's dive.

PICT0048.jpgPICT0053.jpg

Be sure to check out the tarpon inside the cargo hold at Helma Hooker. I saw some of the most incredible sights just on the decent/ascent there.

Love Bonaire!

Back
Top Bottom