Failed Open Water Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Listen to the advice given by previous posters as it is all sound. As a cold water diver I can attest to this first hand. I hope that you do not despair and give up on diving as it truly is a rewarding experience once you get past the certification dives. I did mine in late October in a mountain lake that was darn cold and there was frost on the ground and gray skies all that weekend. It was the coldest diving I have ever done up until I got Ice Diver certified the next winter... :wink:

I am curious though as to why you would have to pay a fee to dive at the better spot, is it in a national or state park that has an entry fee?

The site they did is basically a wide spot in the road, with a steep sort of trail to the water. Down the road is a nice access that belongs to a local dive shop, and they charge for admission.

OK, I am not really understanding the behaviors of the divers "with" this new diver.....Out of common courtesy, when I dive with Sandra and her girlfriends, I am happy to carry any heavy gear, to any kind of dive point we have to go to. while I might draw the line at an Indianna Jones type issue where I would have to pull someone up a 100 foot cliff hand over hand with a rope....for ANY CONCEIVABLE DIVE SPOT in Florida ( including cave country), or in the Pacific NW, I can't imagine not easily being able to help someone get to the water with their gear. If they are new, and you want the initial dive experiences to be good, you help them with as much help as is needed. From what I am hearing, the people with this diver were pathetically lazy, or self indulgent...or just un-caring.
Someone should be able to make this easy. The instructor should be ashamed of themself.

You're absolutely right Dan, in fact and I quote "Since there were a number of other instructors and dive masters going on the trip" they all should be ashamed of themselves.

To
RJHinPDX
At least the instructor on the dive had the sense to get you out of the water when it was clear you were struggling. I stand by my statement that it was negligent for them to put you in that position in the first place. I am glad to hear that your bad experience has not put you off diving. I understand that you don't want to spend more money than you need to to get certified but I suggest that you talk to some of the posters that have replied from your area about finding another Dive shop in your area that is more responsible for your future training and dives.

Dan, personally, I would NEVER have taken OW students to that site for checkout dives. In fact, when I have dived that site myself, I have allowed my larger and stronger (and less fragile) dive buddies to get my gear to the water. And you saw me climb boat ladders in doubles . . . Octopus Hole is a challenging spot when everything is dry, worse when it's wet. I have no idea what was going through the mind of an instructor who didn't offer the students the chance to pay the $20 to dive from a place where merely managing the equipment is a huge challenge.

When I first got certified here, I did a lot of dives at places where the entries were easy, and even then, I'd take my gear to the water in pieces and assemble it as close to the actual dive site as humanly possible. I hated hauling all the heavy stuff. I truly empathize with this student. You do learn to manage the gear here, but it's pretty daunting at the beginning.

As an instructor that HAS taught in the colder climates Id suggest that you absolutly insist on more pool time. you will be warm in full gear but that is okay. use the time to your advantage practice your skills and get comfortable! also remember most instructors tend to over weight students because then they are a bit easier to control. Keep the faith and remember this, people who learn to dive in the cold lower vis water generally become better divers than their warm water counterparts, because when you go to the warm climates you won't use so much gear as opposed to them going colder .
best of luck !

1+ on training in the pool with wetsuit, hood, and gloves. If it gets too hot unzip the back completely or take the hood off as well. I'd at least try a few skill with it on especially the mask clearing drills. The trick to diving with hoods is getting the mask back on without the skirt getting on the hood.

I did my OW pool dives in my wetsuit, gloves, and hood. The gloves were optional but I wanted to train with them on since we would dive ocean with them anyways. I didnt get too hot nor was I uncomfortable.

Good luck. Hope all goes well and you get your cert!

Well, here goes with my humble two cents:

COLD WATER: Growing up on Puget Sound, I know all about cold water. My initial impression is that the dive should have been called before it began, given that it was a first OW dive for you (and others in the group?). Also, where were all the instructors with pointers like meagicano suggested?!

Even if budget is not a huge concern (it is for me), thousands of people dive in cold water every day, and manage to both enjoy it and survive it. There's even such a thing as "ice diving" (sheesh)! So my reply to the person who said "dive where it's warm" would be, "WHAT PLANET DID YOU JUST ARRIVE FROM?!"

I haven't even begun my OW training yet, and what you described would be my nightmare... Even in NoCal "warm" water is not that easy to come by...

Just keep pushing ahead and you'll get there! Safe Diving!

LSF
:coffee:

Beyond the pool with your gear on (as suggested).... I do a lot of shore diving. Tons of it, in fact, and I've never worn anything less than a full 7mm wetsuit and hood etc. One thing I started doing was assembling my gear at my car so I can put it on and walk straight to the water. I realized very quickly that hauling everything close to the water and then assembling it was a recipe for back strain and stress. I also find I'm ready faster than others too. Plus when I'm done my dive, I walked back to the car, drop off tank #1 and switch it for tank #2.
Just an idea of something else you can do to minimize the stress :) it also means I generally only have to make one trip between my vehicle and the shore!

Oh! If you own your own fins switch the straps for springs. I still can't figure out the stupid clips on the straps that came with my fins. I always needed help until I switched them out. Best $20 (or whatever) I have spent on gear so far.

the above has been typed while being read from my mind.

stop stealing my thoughts.

Sund Rock is private land and the owners charge a fee to dive there. Octopus Hole is also private, I think, but the owners do not charge a fee. Locals, correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom