I can't get this dang SPG open.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv, I've seen hundreds of those old Dacor gauges over the years, but none in that good condition. They're usually roached to hell inside and outside along with that figure 8 console. You must be the curator of the Dacor Museum, right?

:) Have a closer look; note the lens is cracked circumferentially. Something heavy was dropped on it and it was damaged shortly after I purchased it. Therefore it didn't get much use in the water-I kept it for "show and tell" for my students.

Last edited:
holy cow, Couv, I have two of those! that's the design that i'm talking about. i will try using channel locks and a vise and see if that works. I don't understand why the manufacturers made the grips so weak, it's frustrating as all get out. i wish they were made more like this: SDC10009.jpg

With the grips nice and big.

thanks for the replies, I'll let you all know how it goes!

Careful. I have a similar DACOR SPG but it is probably a bit newer as it goes to 5500 psi. It does not seem to come apart. I believe I can see some cloudiness on some of the threads that appears to be a glue.

The thin modern type with a plastic face seem to have an oring in a groove around the face.

I had one that slowly, the plastic crazed or fogged up on the inside. Popped the plastic face out with a tiny flathead screwdriver, and was able to mostly polish out the fogging with a lot of work and some automotive plastic polish. A little silicone grease and I was ready to struggle to get the face back in...since it was airtight, every time I pushed it down, it popped right back out!

I finally got it to stay in by heating the darn thing with a hairdryer then leaving a heavy book on top of it while it cooled. Still not sure I want to take it back in the water, but a fun project.

I see now I stand corrected on face removal. Should have known something old school would come out of the woodwork.

You could try a ultrasonic cleaner for a little while and see what happens. It will break loose stuff in impossible to reach places. Vinegar for short term soaks will help break the corrosion up too. Leave it soaking too long and it will remove the chrome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom