Subway Watersports owner murdered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that no case has been made that tourists so far have been targeted by violent crime in Roatan. The issue is with violent crime against residents and especially business owners. Roatan comes up in any search done as a good candidate for retirement due to some articles that appeared about 10 years ago, since those articles came out, as the media will do it piggy backs on them and more articles were written, the good old top 10 places to retire in the Caribbean and such. Many people including myself have considered Roatan retirement, or Roatan investments in land, 2nd home, business ect...

Is this really that difficult to comprehend that what's been stated is in regard to Roatan is looking less and less likely to many as a safe place to retire, invest or buy a 2nd home.

Also, Why do people feel the need to defend crime in the first place? I totally don't get that. Do you fail to understand that one of the things that make/made a place like Roatan a favorable place to retire, invest or buy a 2nd home is because the crime is below the average such as places like Curaca and Aruba, not on par with it.

Posting links showing crime is everywhere and Roatan is just as dangerous doesn't help your cause, it proves the point that what was once such a favorable place to retire, invest or buy a 2nd home which included low crime as one of the factors is no longer the reality.

Why would anyone want to retire, invest or purchase a 2nd home in a place that is just as sh*tty as someplace else???????? Obviously you could stay home if that's what you want. Do you think Roatan's favored status was based on they had coconut palms and no place else does? Water, sunshine a sandy beach and no place on the planet has that? There is a list of factors and low crime was one of them.

I believe that no case has been made that tourists so far have been targeted by violent crime in Roatan. The issue is with violent crime against residents and especially business owners. Roatan comes up in any search done as a good candidate for retirement due to some articles that appeared about 10 years ago, since those articles came out, as the media will do it piggy backs on them and more articles were written, the good old top 10 places to retire in the Caribbean and such. Many people including myself have considered Roatan retirement, or Roatan investments in land, 2nd home, business ect...

Is this really that difficult to comprehend that what's been stated is in regard to Roatan is looking less and less likely to many as a safe place to retire, invest or buy a 2nd home.

Also, Why do people feel the need to defend crime in the first place? I totally don't get that. Do you fail to understand that one of the things that make/made a place like Roatan a favorable place to retire, invest or buy a 2nd home is because the crime is below the average such as places like Curaca and Aruba, not on par with it.

Posting links showing crime is everywhere and Roatan is just as dangerous doesn't help your cause, it proves the point that what was once such a favorable place to retire, invest or buy a 2nd home which included low crime as one of the factors is no longer the reality.

Why would anyone want to retire, invest or purchase a 2nd home in a place that is just as sh*tty as someplace else???????? Obviously you could stay home if that's what you want. Do you think Roatan's favored status was based on they had coconut palms and no place else does? Water, sunshine a sandy beach and no place on the planet has that? There is a list of factors and low crime was one of them.

So MIke, My son 21 (and soon to be daughter in law) are going down to Roatan for 4 months so he has plenty of time to take DM, IDC. His plans are to stay there for two months longer after that to get additional dive experience and try to locate a job in the diving industry. If you looked at Roatan today (not compared to how it was years ago) where is a better (affordable & safe) place to dive and get into the diving industry?

That's too bad. What you don't see and understand here is that, for the regular SCUBA tourist, Roatan has so far proven to be fairly harmless.

I'll stick to visiting and stay "inside the wire".

People decry this attitude I have- staying inside the resort.

I don't travel to or go on vacation in places where I have to hide "inside the wire". And exactly what defines fairly harmless? Too many safe and easy places to risk this one.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 04:59 PM ----------

So, Kharon, what tropical paradise should I go to to avoid all of this frightening stuff ? (excepting the tank dive at Disney)

No multiple murders on Dominica, Bonaire, Curacau, Bahamas ... Nor did I encounter or even hear of violent crime. A little gas hoisting was the worst of it. I had no fear of travel anywhere, day or night. I doubt that Turks, Cayman, Fiji, Bora Bora, Tahiti, ... would be unsafe.

So MIke, My son 21 (and soon to be daughter in law) are going down to Roatan for 4 months so he has plenty of time to take DM, IDC. His plans are to stay there for two months longer after that to get additional dive experience and try to locate a job in the diving industry. If you looked at Roatan today (not compared to how it was years ago) where is a better (affordable & safe) place to dive and get into the diving industry?

I really don't know how to answer your question. Once you start using 'affordable' as part of the equation I don't have the ability to understand your reasoning since nothing is affordable if you're dead. I'd be very nervous for a family member 21 years old going to Roatan for 6 months. That age means he's going to want to party and mixing with the locals at bars over a long period of time seems to be the most dangerous thing you can do in Roatan. With the recent murders, now I'd be really concerned.

Do you fail to understand that one of the things that make/made a place like Roatan a favorable place to retire, invest or buy a 2nd home is because the crime is below the average such as places like Curaca and Aruba, not on par with it.

Mike, Crime on Roatan, per capita, is far greater than the places you mention, care to try again?

certainly crime is higher on roatan than many places, after all its the third world and many are very poor. that said the link i showed above to curacao was of a random two week period and there were murders, robberies, shootings and even a kidnapping. however, on scubaboard forum for curacao during that month there was no mention of any crime. same goes with belize rarely a mention of crime on scubaboard other than the mcafee case, does this mean there's no crime on expats in belize? certain members of this forum and roatan tripadvisor just love to talk about crime. facts are facts, crimes happen and there has certainly been more expats involved of late but i think only the most timid or inexperienced travelers should avoid visiting roatan. and for budget dive instructor certification its very hard to beat. however if you like to party and "go native", just remember that poor guy or girl who wants to be your friend late at night after you've been drinking or getting high may have ulterior motives, they don't think you're cool they think you have money. go diving, hang out with friends on the beach, eat good food and stay in your comfort zone.
comparing roatan to fiji, bora bora and tahiti is ridiculous, thats like comparing a trip on the QE2 to a ride in an open boat trying to get to little corn island in nicaragua and the price you'll pay reflects that.

Reactions: Doc
Try again for what? Follow the thread and read what responses are to what.

Media has painted Roatan's image not me.

Most crimes committed on the island are petty thefts and robberies that occur when no one is around.

crime is almost non-existent, and health care is top-notch

Unlike most places in the world, Roatan is almost totally free of violence, so you are personally safe and secure. The Honduran government makes strong efforts to keep the island safe

The level of serious crime in Roatan is quite low.

-For the most part it is as safe as anywhere and has less violent crime than most places.

People tell a different story

One may come off a cruise ship and think this is paradise, or stay for a short vacation and believe this is a perfect place to live, retire, invest in Real Estate, have a business ect. but the truth is that this is far from paradise. It is common practice here on the Bay Islands to purchase property and months, sometimes years pass, only to find out that someone paid off a public official and now they own your home or business!! It is also common practice here on the Bay Islands that if you try to take legal action against the perpetrators you will be murdered. Yes, I said murdered. It is cheaper to pay a hit man than have to fight someone in Court. Ha Ha Court, that is also a joke! There is no functioning judiciary in Honduras. If you should however elude getting whacked, not one lawyer will take the case for fear that they too will fall victim to retaliation. I can personally say this because my husband was almost murdered by a paid hitman on April, 12, 2010 because we were filing fraud charges against the Real Estate Company/ Owner (American owned) and Lawyer for defrauding us in a Real Estate purchase we made in the year 2006. We paid five separate Lawyers to represent us and the day my husband was almost murdered no Lawyers would return our calls nor represent us. Needless to say, we spent thousands of dollars over the years trying to find justice, only to find it is non-existant in Honduras. Forget getting the State Department or the US Embassy to assist, the only answer we have received from the Embassy was to move or hire a 24 hour body guard! What happened to the State Department's responsibility to uphold treaties between foreign investors and Honduras? I have known so many American's and Canadian's that have come here to Honduras and invested their retirement savings to live a decent life, only to be defrauded of all their life savings. Again, there is no legal recourse. Why is our Government sending millions of our tax dollars to this third world Country that has no judiciary??? Of course if one were to come to Roatan to buy a business or buy a home you will hear a different story from the seller. Don't waste your time asking about legalities to any Real Estate Agent or Businessman. They just see you as a way of lining their pockets. In my entire life I never personally knew anyone that had been murdered. Since I have lived in Roatan I have known personally seven people that have been murdered. None of which have been solved. The murder rate in Honduras is 86 per 100,000 people. The murder rate here on the Island of Roatan is 34 per 100,000 people. That does not even count all the violent crimes that occur on a daily basis. I do still live here in Roatan but not by choise, when you are defrauded of your savings it is a little hard to just pick up and leave. Many friends that I have met here have pleaded with me to not disclose to visitors the violence, fraud, and murders that takes place on what appears as a peaceful Island. They relay it hurts their investment, well I too have an investment but that does not negate the fact that I never want anyone to go through the same mistake that we have endured. Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong! May God Bless You.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 05:20 PM ----------

Now, back to reality.

Is Roatan a cess pool of crime and you'll get murdered when you step off the plane?

NO.

But no matter how anybody wants to sugar coat it, the recent escalations of violent murders and crimes against non-Hondurans is quite alarming to me.

No multiple murders on Dominica, Bonaire, Curacau, Bahamas ... Nor did I encounter or even hear of violent crime. A little gas hoisting was the worst of it. I had no fear of travel anywhere, day or night. I doubt that Turks, Cayman, Fiji, Bora Bora, Tahiti, ... would be unsafe.

Sorry to burst your bubble!
Murders every other night - Cayman 27
The Hindu : News / National : Bodies of murdered businessmen found in Fiji
Barbadians testify at alleged satanic ritual murder trial - Caribbean360

Plenty more with a few minutes googling

Reactions: Doc
Now, back to reality.

Is Roatan a cess pool of crime and you'll get murdered when you step off the plane?

NO.

But no matter how anybody wants to sugar coat it, the recent escalations of violent murders and crimes against non-Hondurans is quite alarming to me.

The personal story you posted was a report about crime in HONDURAS....not Roatan....although Roatan is part of Honduras, the crime rate on the island of Honduras is SUBSTANTIALLY less than the mainland of Honduras.....The Roatanians keep it that way for a reason...they want people to come back. The mainland of Honduras, however, is a completely different story...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom