tell me about cave diving in Mexico ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
2013 is the year I WILL go cave diving in Mexico ... February or March, if I can make it work. Problem is, I've never been there ... and I don't have any dive buddies there. So I'd like some suggestions, and if possible, find one or more folks to dive with.

I'm full cave certified with NSS-CDS ... roughly 40 cave dives, all in Florida. I dive sidemount. My only Mexico exposure was guided cenote dives in Gran Cenote and Carwash in 2006.

So, things I'm interested in ... where would you recommend I go ... what cave systems are "must do" ... where to stay ... and if I can't find an experienced MX dive buddy, who to hire as a guide.

Any and all information appreciated ... I want to firm up plans within the next few weeks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I recommend the Tulum area. You will definitely need a guide so whether or not you have a buddy doesn't really matter except for the cost. I stayed at Villa DeRosa in Akumal just down the road from Tulum. I would use them again as it is easy since they cook for you and the divr shop is on site. I have heard good things about Protec Tulum but I have never used them. There are lots of inclusive resorts in that area that some buddy's have stayed at and their family liked this. There are more good cave dives there than you can do in a week. My favorite was Chan Hole and White River. I Think I read where Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs, Fl. has a trip coming up this spring to Villa DeRosa. You might want to check with them if you are looking for a group trip to cut cost. If you are looking for more advanced cave diving I would stick to the solo maybe 1 buddy plan and contact Protec Tulum. Hope this helps.

Nico, owner operator at CenoteXperience is a great cave / cavern guide and instructor. He's very reasonable, thorough and safety conscience. He dives and instructs both doubles and side mount. While Tulum is going to be closer to a lot of the caves I'd stay in Playa, more to do, better restaurants, etc. Nico will pick you up and drop you off, provide everything you need. There are some great inexpensive boutique hotels or some other very reasonable places that cost a bit more. PM me if you'd like some suggestions!

I just did my cavern cert with him in November, am going back as soon as I get the time to finish cave with him and recommend him highly.

2013 is the year I WILL go cave diving in Mexico ... February or March, if I can make it work. Problem is, I've never been there ... and I don't have any dive buddies there. So I'd like some suggestions, and if possible, find one or more folks to dive with.

I'm full cave certified with NSS-CDS ... roughly 40 cave dives, all in Florida. I dive sidemount. My only Mexico exposure was guided cenote dives in Gran Cenote and Carwash in 2006.

So, things I'm interested in ... where would you recommend I go ... what cave systems are "must do" ... where to stay ... and if I can't find an experienced MX dive buddy, who to hire as a guide.

Any and all information appreciated ... I want to firm up plans within the next few weeks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Get in touch with Jason at Essential Scuba Training - Home - Essential Scuba Training

He's a really nice bloke, and will be able to sort you out with everything you need.

HTH
John

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed staying at Xilbalba in Tulum (Robbie Schmittners place). We rented a car and checked out many of the local cave systems ourselves.
The rooms are really nice, he has plenty of tanks and several compressors on site.
He has guides available.

Our first trip we tried to dive many systems, the last time we dove each cave system for a couple days to get to know it.
I'd for sure check out Car Wash, Grand Cenote, Temple of Doom and Mayan Blue which are all easy to get to.

There are many, many more and guides come into play for sites which require land owner permission/fees as sometimes who and where to pay isn't all that obvious.

Bob, talk to me about lodging -- I have an "in" on a condo in Puerto Aventuras that is about as cheap as you could ask for -- 2 bedroom, so if you can find a companion for the trip, you can split the already low rent.

The caves that are interesting to dive run from about Puerto Aventuras to 10 or 15 kilometers south of Tulum. Most of the ones I really like to dive are south, but if you base out of PA, you can use Zero G for gas, and their prices are very reasonable and their gas is reliable. There are now a couple of shops pumping gas in Tulum (I believe Xibalba and Protec are -- Cave Heaven's compressor isn't on line) but I trust ZG.

If you don't have a buddy or buddies who have been there before, by all means hire a guide. Jason's a great one; Natalie Gibb is another, and Ela Bertoni (formerly of Cave Heaven) is a really fun gal, too. And all three dive sidemount, if that matters. The reason for hiring a guide is more to avoid frustration than anything else -- just getting to and getting INTO some of the sites is a pain if you don't know how it's done, and finding the main line can waste a whole dive. Most guides charge in the neighborhood of $200 a day, but that includes tank rental and entry fees, which will run $40 to $50 a day -- and if you are working with a guide, you may not have to rent a car, which will save you a minimum of $250 to $300 for a week. Guiding fees also go down if they have more than one client. Jason lives in PA (and actually, he rents the other room in his house, so that's another lodging option), and Natalie is in Akumal, and either would pick you up where you are staying.

You can't go wrong with the caves. Some are more decorated than others; some have more halocline, or huge spaces. For example, I'd highly recommend doing Taj at the beginning of the trip, because there are some HUGE, halocline-filled spaces, where you can enjoy the fiberoptic effect of the lights being spilled in a bright line on the far cave wall. It's also a good shakedown dive, because there isn't anything very small or difficult, which is nice when you are shaking down the weight and balance of a new setup. (Everybody dives Al80's down there, almost without exception.) I LOVE Grand Cenote -- you really could spend an entire week in there and not see everything that there is to see, and it's all different. Jailhouse is an amazing place, and one of Peter's favorites for taking pictures. Pet Cemetery to the Blue Abyss is an amazing dive; Chan Hol has fabulous places to poke around in. And EVERYBODY needs to dive NoHoch at least a couple of times, just for the "wow" factor of being in a cave that looks like a madman good loose with an industrial frosting machine.

We should go for a dive one of these days and have a drink afterwards and talk about this. Sorry I can't say I will be down there when you're going, but my travel plans for next year are entirely on hold until we sort out my job situation.

Well, ScubaBoard delivers again ... I have an offer for a dive buddy, and potentially a group of divers to hook up with for an April trip.

That should be just about perfect ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
Agree with Natalie Gibb, I have dove with her on two seperate trips, Puerto Adventuras is as close as you can get, but limited options, I would prob stay in Playa del Carmen as well. Dennis Weeks, great guy and guide, works with Natalie is easy to find on here Pez Diablo, that is how I have coordinated all my cave trips. Great folks, will provide gas and transportation as well as some great local haunts for lunch, my favorite is Bronco Chicken in Tulum, hit it up Bob, you wont be dissapointed

Nohoch is the classic, you can just do the mainline until you get tired of kicking, there's also the first jump to the left (parker's line) which T's to the left later and that is almost doable on 600 psi, which i really like better. Lots of opportunities to jump off and explore but it tends to get tighter and not as pretty (at least from what I've poked my nose into).

Jailhouse I would recommend both the major saltwater passages

For carwash you can actually get in at luke's hope now and that gives easier access to the room of tears and adrianna's room. For entering at carwash proper you can check out the chamber of the ancients, but you'll definitely need to be guided there.

Minotauro has some very nice halocline pools.

Pet cemetary has a bunch of good dives. You can stick with the IHOP line and go straight up it and its huge decorated stuff that is really nice, or you can do dark side of the moon which is tighter and very pretty, or you can go to the Blue Abyss which is even tighter pretty stuff getting there then is a jump off into a 250 foot pit (needs a stage and probably a guide to find the jump for that one).

Cuzan Nah loop at grand cenote is very, very good and doable on backgas.

Temple of Doom has the big jump into the cenote, but it immediately has super pretty blue stuff right at the start. Then if you jump at the fang and go clockwise you'll see nice stuff that direction.

Mayan blue B-tunnel is also blue as advertised and very pretty.

Naharon has the SW Sac Be line which is high on the todo list.

In Taj I would probably recommend chinese gardens or the waterfall (stage on the last one).

White River is interesting, a bit more tunnel, but with some nohoch-like decorations without getting diabetes from too much nohoch sugar...

I think I'm running out of steam of listing good dives now long before I'm done with the good dives...

You can dive Yax Chen as well if you're interested in something totally different -- dark cave, shallow, lots of kicking -- it's a bit more like diving lake washington, though...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom