Montreal 50' deep indoor pool to be shut down.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

disco1999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Within north america, a unique indoor 50 feet deep swimming pool designed for scubadivers known as the Bassin olympique de Montréal is expected to be shut down permanently in the near future. Reasons are obscure as of now. This site was constructed back in 70's for the 1976 Summer olympic games in Montreal. Over a thousand divers have linked on facebook in just a couple of hours reacting to this.
:acclaim:

Very sad indeed.

Last edited:
bassin.jpg

this is what the scuba diving pool looks like... 50' deep
supposed to be closed permanently on jan 2013
UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Within north america, a unique indoor 50 feet deep swimming pool designed for scubadivers known as the Bassin olympique de Montréal is expected to be shut down permanently in the near future. Reasons are obscure as of now. This site was constructed back in 70's for the 1976 Summer olympic games in Montreal. Over a thousand divers have linked on facebook in just a couple of hours reacting to this.
:acclaim:

I didn't even know it existed, but would come to Montreal as a tourist just to use it.

If their problem is money, all they needed to do was let people know it was there.

flots.

I don't know why they didn't really promote the site for our tourists. They come around the olympic stadium taking pictures, visiting the biodome, and that's just about it. Visiting hours are somewhat restricted, you simply need to call for a reservation 2-3days ahead, bring a C-card and it costs only $20 to spend a full hour underwater, $28 if you don't bring your own gear. Isn't that great ? Every divers here are upset with the RIO's decision to shutdown the site.
We are badly in need of dive sites in the great Montreal area, and this one is the safest a newbie can use for his initial OW courses.

I wish we had a facility like that here in Calgary... heck anywhere in Alberta for that matter...

I hope it can be saved.

Definitely a truly unique facility…hopefully it can be saved and used it its fullest potential.

I would happily give you my ex-wife, her boyfriend and their dog in exchange for such a pool.:shocked2::no::rofl3:

In all honesty, please let SB know if there is anything we can do to help save it.

~Michael~

I didn't know about this either, and would have loved to go for a pool "dive" when I head out that way in feb... shame to learn of awesome stuff when it's nearly too late. They definitely should have promoted, it's pretty easy to find a reason for a weekend in Montreal in the first place, this just would've been icing on the cake.

Pic looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom