More shots from Komodo..Crustaceans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saudio

Contributor
Reaction score
Crabs, Lobsters, and Shrimp. I recently posted a Nudibranchs thread here, animals both beautiful and weird, but Crustaceans take it up another notch with both shape variations and behaviors.

And Komodo had hundreds of different animals to choose from. Here are a selection

First, my favorite couple of shots of the group, a Harlequin Swimming Crab minding his own business until someone gets nosy

gaudycrab_1536.jpg

gaudycrab_1537.jpg

Then, the decorators. Decorator crabs grab stuff and attach it to their backs for decoration and camouflage, and some of them use live animals for this purpose. These guys all had living anemones attached to them.

decorator_3302.jpg

decorator_3304.jpg

decoratorc_3649.jpg

hermit_2474.jpg

And now, the weird. First is the Skeleton Shrimp. These tiny shrimp live in colonies on feathery hydroids, and wave, duck, dance, and fight with each other as a full time job. Since they have a vaguely human like appearance, they are even more entertaining to watch. I've seen many pics of these guys but never have seen the red eyes before.

skeleton_3995.jpg

These next two are probably the weirdest, the first is called a Donald Duck Shrimp. No kidding. Google it. :) The second shot is a Xenocrab.
shrimp_0589.jpg

xenocrab_3494.jpg

Here are three little creeps from the black sand muck dives of Komodo. The first is a Scissor Swimming Crab, the second one remains unidentified and the third is a mantas shrimp, otherwise known as a "thumb splitter" because it hunts by lightning-quick strikes from powerful claws.
crab_1872.jpg

crab_1930.jpg

mantisface_0639.jpg

The rest of these I put into the general category of "beautiful". Most people don't think of crustaceans as anything but ugly, but you can see, some of them are stunning.

First are Coleman Shrimp, who live entirely on top of Fire Urchins.
colemanshrimp_2355.jpg

Unidentified
crab_1142.jpg

A Soft Coral Crab gleefully feeding on bloodworms attracted by my dive lights. It's not easy being a bloodworm.
crab_4027.jpg

Crinoid Squat Lobster
crinoidcrab_0564.jpg

This is an Emperor Shrimp, residing on the back of a much larger Nudibranch. You can see the Nudibranch gills in the shot.
emperor_2420.jpg

Hairy Squat Lobster
hairysquat_0841.jpg

A Blue Spiney Lobster
bluelobster_3510.jpg

Check out the eyes on the Red Night Shrimp
shrimp_1232.jpg

A favorite from the trip, a Tiger Shrimp.
tigershrimp_2262.jpg

Brooks Urchin Shrimp
urchinshrimp_2382.jpg

And last, a Whip Coral Shrimp. I love the black and white camouflage
whipcoralshrimp_0509.jpg

Wonderful images !!! I love macro stuff.

Excellent shots

Amazing shots!

Favs are #2, #6, and #14

What setup are you using?

thank you! 14 is one of my favorites too. I'm using a Canon 7D, Nauticam housing, and Z240 strobes. Most of these were taken with a Canon 100MM Macro lens.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2012 at 02:07 PM ----------

Wonderful images !!! I love macro stuff.

Thanks Andy!

---------- Post added December 8th, 2012 at 02:08 PM ----------

Excellent shots

Appreciate it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom