Roatan - recommend places for OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

West bay is much better for beaches than West End, but if you want a dive op in the west end, there are a few nice spots on the other side (away from west bay) of the west end. Cocolobo is one of them. There's no beach, but a nice iron shore and it feels like you're out in nature. There are also some nice houses between west bay and west end; those would be great to stay in but I have feeling they'd bust your budget. I don't know about any snorkeling in west end; the whole area is wrapped around a small bay, which is very nice for swimming but there's no reef. The reef offshore would be an easy swim, in fact I used to do it regularly, but there's boat traffic and shore diving seems to be discouraged. That area between west end and west bay might be perfect for a combination of swimming and snorkeling.

Coconut tree is a good quality dive op for instruction; there are a lot of DM students there assisting with classes so you get some extra attention. It's also kind of a social center, lots of people hang out there in the early evening. It's near the end of the west end furthest from west bay, so if you end up staying in one of the places near cocolobo, it's very convenient; if you went for someplace between west bay and west end, it's a longer walk. Sueno is on the opposite end of the west end, closest to west bay.

My wife and I stay at Bananarama. It sounds like it would be perfect for you. It's on West Bay beach. It also has excellent snorkeling right down the beach and excellent instructors. The price is right in line with what you're looking for (and has kayaks.) banaramadive.com

We've been there three times and are headed back next year.

+1 on Coconut Tree Divers. Very nice folks, very safety conscious, they run a good operation.

I would vote against West Bay. Lots of high-rise condo's, not much local life. As it was explained to me, West Bay caters to a lot of mainland CA folk. Mainland Honduras is not a nice place (very high murder per capita rate). So the people it caters to expect high security and isolation.

If that is your thing, then you're good. West End is a bit funkier, you will be living with the local population and IMHO having a much better time.

YMMV (of course)

VicNLuke..........you may also want to look into Splash Inn Resort on West End. Not an al inclusive, The place is owned a couple, Adriana and Giacomo. They have 24 room hotel, restaurant and Dive Shop right on the waterfront. It is close to everything. Lots of small restaurants nearby. one of their instructors and her husband are owners of the Blue Marlin restaurant. They will give you a nice OW course experience. Check out Roatan Hotel Dive Resort SPLASH INN West End Honduras. You may want to check out some of the videos on the web page. There's a good one on the front page.

Last spring my GF and I stayed at Anthoney's Key Resort. It has pretty much everything you mentioned...but might be a little expensive unless you can get a 2 for 1 special.

With that said, we spent a day in both the West End and the West Side Beach. We were some what disappointed in the West End...it reminded us of a very rural community. If it rains, there are no sidewalks so mud every where. Your BF will see everything in about 30 minutes. We have read, however, some good reports about Coconuts.

We visted the West Side Beach too and what a difference in communities (just developed differently with the West Side Beach catering more towards tourists). We visited Banannarma and had lunch there...what a great place. The West Side has some really good snorkeling too, especially near the cliff. We will be going back to Roatan and if we do not stay at Anthoney's, we will be staying and diving Bananarama on the West Side.

The Bay Islands have some of the friendliest people we have meet in the region...so what ever you are looking for I am sure that you can find it.

Have fun with your OW...it truely is a gateway into an exciting new world.

If you get a chance Anthoney's have a great and well managed dolphin snorkel... it is not like the very commercial ones in Mexico. This one is maintained by biologists and you snorkle in their habitat and let them interact with you.

Cheers,

~Michael~

Oops, sorry, on Nov. 26 was posting from my smartphone. I meant to say "you might consider Westend Divers". Not Western. But that said, I think you'll be very happy with your choice of Sueno del Mar. Say hi to Ray for me. I haven't been in the rooms lately, but did a tour when he first opened the place, very nicely appointed tho' smallish. Great bathrooms. :) Patios looking out over the ocean. Sublime.

Oldbear, West End road is being paved, as it certainly must have been last spring. Were things still in a messy construction phase when you were there? ("no sidewalks", sorry can't help it, LMAO)

Hi there, you all are a great resource for newbies! I have been reading past posts but haven't found all of the information I need so I hope you can give me a hand.

I am looking to get my OW certification and was drawn to the Bay Islands for the price and reputation of having quality dive instruction. I will be traveling with my boyfriend, who is already certified. He won't want to dive more than every other day, but he is very active and will want to snorkel and kayak and wander around town on his non-diving days, while I am getting certified.

We are in our 40s and 50s, and while we like to have a good time we don't need to be in a crazy party environment. We both like staying on or very near a nice beach with good snorkeling off shore. So, I have pretty much narrowed our location down to West Bay, although I would consider West End if there was a place with kayaks for us to use.

We are budget travelers, and usually never spend more than $100-125 per night for accommodations, and would like to keep it much lower if possible. On Roatan, where accommodations can be had pretty cheaply, I would only consider approaching that level if there were kayaks to use, a nice beach and good snorkeling off shore. I could find something without bothering you all, but I realize that this vacation will be a lot more enjoyable if our accommodations are near the dive operator I choose, so I can't choose a place to stay without thinking about the diving instruction nearby.

For my OW certification, the highest priority for me is safety. I am the type of person who loves adventurous activities (whitewater canoeing, sea kayaking, etc.), but researches all of the safety issues and has all of the safety gear. I like to challenge myself, but I don't like to take short cuts, and while I am learning I want to know that if I get scared or something goes wrong, someone will be right there to help. I would like to find a dive operator that has a small instructor/student ratio, excellent equipment standards, and lots of patience for newbies. A 4 or 5:1 ratio, or less, for students to instructors would be ideal.

Any thoughts from the experts on whether I can meet both my accommodation and diving goals in Roatan? Thanks!
When are you planning to visit Roatan??
I have a group out of Westchester NY going last week of April. I would suggest getting all academic and pool work for the open water course done locally before going. Just take a referral and get the 4 openwater dives done there. If near the facility I teach out of ( can be 15-20 minutes from parts of CT) we can get you done easily here before you go_Or you can join us on our group trip and have the same instructor complete the 4 certification dives that did your academics and pool coursework--me!Your BF can even get some pool time if he likes before the trip..If you do not plan to dive everyday a reduced non diver rate would be for you and then only pay for the dives you make as most of the group will be on a unlimited dive package, although once you start to dive in such a environment there is no reason to not do it multiple times a day!. PM me here if interested.You can sign up for a standard scheduled group class or truly private where you name the day/time for classroom-and pool sessions, as we own our own onsite indoor heated pool. At your age 40-50 I do not think you would want to fit in with the back-pack party type crowd as it may be mostly 20 something people who can do without amenities . Typical age of my groups are late 20 to early/mid 60.

...Oldbear, West End road is being paved, as it certainly must have been last spring. Were things still in a messy construction phase when you were there? ("no sidewalks", sorry can't help it, LMAO)

Chilly,

I think they might have just been starting the paving efforts. Three weeks prior to our stay in Roatan we went to to Utila first on the Capt. Vern's Catamaran and the road was tore up with new water/sewer drain pipes being installed. Then when we did our one-day trip to the West End on the far end (up the hill near the beach/port) they were starting their civil work (grading). This was mid-May.

I honestly beleive that if their primary target is going to be the tourists from the cruise ships that paving the streets (with sidewalks or boradwalsk) will help attrach more. My 70+ yr mother loves cruises yet would not enjoy the (Old Dirt-Street) West End that much. Me personally, I do not mind it. If it rains and I get mud in my Teva's then I stand in the ocean and replade it with sand :D

---------- Post added December 10th, 2012 at 08:38 AM ----------

... I would suggest getting all academic and pool work for the open water course done locally before going. Just take a referral and get the 4 openwater dives done there...

+1 for doing the classroom and confined water training locally, then the openwater referral in Roatan. You are going to Roatan to dive...do the book studing at home where you are less likely to be distracted. :admingreet:

I did it this way with no regrets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom