Montreal 50' deep indoor pool to be shut down.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[/QUOTE] all honesty, please let SB know if there is anything we can do to help save it.

~Michael~[/QUOTE]

The best thing to do would be to talk about it and let as many people know about the upcoming closure and join the facebook group (Already over 4000 followers).

The 50ft deep olympic pool is such a great place to master skills or just an excuse to log some bottom time during winter! The site has never been managed correctly. It was as if the owners of the olympic stadium kept it open only because it was there and were waiting for plans to shut it down. Even as a Montrealer, it was hard to get a place on the roster to go dive! U had to call first thing monday morning to get a place on friday night or the weekends! If i remember correctly it was i=open a total of 4hrs a week (4 x 1hour blocks) I dont know why it wasnt open almost every hour on weekends... its not as if the staff was paid or anything, it was all volunteer work from DM's and Instructors (I have supervised there a couple times)... So forget tourists actually having a chance to dive there

Its a real shame that they didnt promote it more... actually promote it AT ALL!!!!!

68170_10151217418444961_1407772927_n.jpg

The "Blue Hole", Montreal. :blinking: What a shame if it closes, but maintenance is probably a problem.

all honesty, please let SB know if there is anything we can do to help save it.

~Michael~[/QUOTE]

The best thing to do would be to talk about it and let as many people know about the upcoming closure and join the facebook group (Already over 4000 followers).

The 50ft deep olympic pool is such a great place to master skills or just an excuse to log some bottom time during winter! The site has never been managed correctly. It was as if the owners of the olympic stadium kept it open only because it was there and were waiting for plans to shut it down. Even as a Montrealer, it was hard to get a place on the roster to go dive! U had to call first thing monday morning to get a place on friday night or the weekends! If i remember correctly it was i=open a total of 4hrs a week (4 x 1hour blocks) I dont know why it wasnt open almost every hour on weekends... its not as if the staff was paid or anything, it was all volunteer work from DM's and Instructors (I have supervised there a couple times)... So forget tourists actually having a chance to dive there

Its a real shame that they didnt promote it more... actually promote it AT ALL!!!!!
[/quote]

Really? Are you serious? A resource like this and no promotion...? Wow. I would use this every class and even on my free time in the winter... such a shame.

I just received the email and link below. Please sign the petition (link below). Sorry, I think it is only in French.

I would like to plea with you my friends, both divers and non to help stop the closure of this Montreal land mark; the only one of its kind in North America. This practice pool has been helping to educate both new scuba divers as well as the old ones like myself for over 15 years. The Montreal police force as well as the our naval forces have trained here not to mention a few Quebec films who have been shot here on location.

So please help by signing the petition you will find at the hyper-link I have provided below:

https://www.assnat.qc.ca/fr/exprimez-votre-opinion/petition/Petition-3467/index.html

Thank you for you suppport and please feel free to forward this email to anyone who you may feel can further the cause.

Joined the group and signed the petition....I hope the translator wasn't telling me the wrong things. Had to do it from work....and our system is pretty cheeky!

Here is the english translation of the Petition, please help us retain this site and go sign it, takes 1 minute.

Petition :
Closing of the 15 meters Olympic Park Diving Pool
To sign this petition, you must complete 3 steps:

1.Step 1: fill out the form that appears below the text of the petition and send it (you must accept the signing conditions before sending the form).
2.Step 2: consult your electronic mailbox and open the message sent by the Assembly.
3.Step 3: in this message, click on the link enabling you to register your signature.
You may sign a petition only once.

Petition text
CONSIDERING THAT it is with shock and amazement that the Québec Federation of Underwater Activities (FQAS) and the Quebec diving community learned of the permanent closure of the Olympic Basin (scuba diving pool) by letter November 9, 2012, from the director of the Olympic Sports Centre, M. Guy Dubuc, stating the 15 meter depth basin, would be closed permanently as of January 1, 2013;

CONSIDERING THAT the Scuba Diving Basin is a unique pool in North America with a 15 meter depth;

CONSIDERING the short notice;

CONSIDERING THAT a unilateral decision was made without consulting those involved in the usage of said basin;

CONSIDERING THAT the naval reserve, the police corps, the 5th Regiment recreational divers and members of diving clubs in and outside of Québec train here;

CONSIDERING THAT this sport is gaining in popularity, with more and more families participating;

CONSIDERING THAT the practice of scuba diving in a confined area sheltered from the natural elements is an ideal and secure place for:

- training of scuba divers;
- trying new scuba equipment;
- practicing and keeping current skills over the winter months;

CONSIDERING THAT the basin is used in the film industry by local and international companies;

We, the undersigned, request the Québec government to apply pressure to the Régie des installations olympiques (RIO) to review its decision on the permanent closing of the basin, to show transparency by sharing any information concerning the National Sports Institute of Québec construction projects, and to begin discussions so that a mutually advantageous solution can be found.

https://www.assnat.qc.ca/en/exprimez-votre-opinion/petition/Petition-3467/index.html

Now that 1 January 2013 has passed, has the pool been closed or is the petition working?

What is the pool's latest status?

Decision was made to shutdown effective Jan 1st.
As of today, the pool is still open for divers until demolition starts.
We don't know much, now we're told it's pending likely for the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom