Dangerous psychology- Diving beyond one's training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... A good instructor should provide holistic training that emphasises all the good reasons not to breach certain boundaries that will take the student beyond training limitations. No need to be dramatic, just balance the facts with sober accounts of what can go wrong if… Further, a good instructor will ‘read’ the personality of his/her students ...//...

For me, formal training has had the effect of continuously reducing how far I push any limits, while getting the same thrill, enjoyment, whatever.

Right now, I'm getting trim and finning squared away. Should have been done at the onset, but wasn't a requirement. Quite fun, actually.

Being a diver (relatively new-60+ dives) and a clinical psychologist, this post caught my interest. I'd like to make a couple comments:
First, learning via books and research (no matter how thorough) and learning by experience are not interchangable. They are certainly both powerful and important but they are practically and, more relevantly to my point, neurologically independent. That is, different parts of the brain are utilized for each, and you can independently acquire one form of 'knowledge' without the other. (note that this point, as others below, are empirically demonstrated through research.) What is also true is that, while they can be acquired independently, each is necessary to any valid assertion of what is commonly referred to as 'knowing' something, since even a full (impossible, in any case) knowledge in only one domain remains and incomplete knowledge of the topic of interest. So it is theoretically possible to know, via study, everything written or said about a topic, and yet remain quite ignorant (practially and neurologically). The converse is also true about experience; a thousand dives may not teach you what is in one SB post. since it seems obvious that no one is taking either extreme position in the forum, it is a matter of personal perspective, and thus degree, that is being argued.

Second thought: That 'you don't know what you don't know' is necessarily (i.e., logically) true. More relevantly, and in hopefully more helpfully phrased... while we can learn/understand that we do not know everything within an area of study, we necessarily remain ignorant of which particular items or facts, or how many, within a topic that we don't know, and thus remain unable to assess our degree of knowledge or ignorance with any degree of certainty. It seems to me to this factor that is being referred to in the forum. This is why people assert that continued learning is essential, whether they come down on the side of research or of experience.

Third observation: Humans as a species are very poor at risk assessment. This appears to be the case whether or not we have recieved specific education-or experience-at assessing risks. This is, in part, because we are not very competent with statistics and/or research, combined with the fact that we are motivated by the part of the brain that processes emotions - contrary to Aristotle, we are not rational beings, we merely have the capacity for reasoning. Our cortex ('rational' mind) facilitates the pursuit and obtaining of our goals, but our limbic system ( simplistically speaking, our emotional processor) determines our goals. Whether we use reason to check/balance/regulate our emotions/goals in any given instance is individually determined (and obviously some are better at it, or more interested in it, than others). Further, what goals we have are also individually determined. In terms of the forum, it seems to me that the discussions including 'risk-assessment' and 'risk-tolerance' as factors the foregoign: we are not good at it, though we can get better, and what constitutes risk and acceptable risk is emotionally more than rationally derived.

Summary? We need to have both 'book' knowledge (i.e., knowing 'that') as well as experiential knowledge (knowing 'how') if we wish to (justifiably) assert that we know something well. We need to really understand that no matter the domain, even with the above, there is a great deal we don't know, and 'don't know we don't know.' Unless, of course, we like to eat crow when we finally manifest our ignorance (for example, on a SB post or in an obituary). As is said, ignorance of our own ignorance is truly ignorance. Finally, we need to work consciously and hard to counteract our relative genetic incompetence at risk assessment, which is amazingly compromised by the fact that we are emotionally invested in our goals...like going diving.

Why do people go way beyond their training/competence? Because we want to, and because we don't actually understand why or when we shouldn't. But i would suggets that the most powerful counter to the impulse, whenyou see it in others, is peer pressure and modeling. Don't agree, don't support, don't aquiesce, don't keep your mouth shut, and most certainly don't go with them. While those who know that they don't know can be taught, both bravado and arrogance tend to dissipate in the absence of an audience.

Anyways, some thoughts of mine. Mark.

There is more B.S on this thread than I could ever have expected, leads me to believe more internet divers than anything else. If you want to go kill yourself, just do it. Dont try and call yourself a pioneer to justify it. Stupid is just that, stupid. I will concede, some classes out there are useless, but in technical diving it is not. You cant learn everything from the books. Having an instructor there to show you what and why something isnt right can be priceless. One easy thing to see on here is who never to dive with.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2012 at 06:16 PM ----------

Everybody who has ever laid line in virgin cave has exceeded their training, because no training takes you into virgin cave. So how do you know when you are ready to do this?

This is a very personal question to me, because I had the exhilarating experience of getting to be part of a buddy team that put new line into a cave on my last trip. Everything about that dive was edgy . . . it was a place I'd never been (and neither had my buddy). We knew NOTHING about the cave or the conditions to be expected. No one had been in the cave for at least seven years. Unlike most Mexican caves, it was very high flow, which is something I generally dislike and I'm not particularly good at. At every step of the way, I was reevaluating whether I should be where I was, doing what I was doing . . . and I kept saying it was okay, and it all went fine.

Someday, you have to step outside what you have done and do something more. Judgment and prudence will help you choose those moments, and not push yourself too far.

If that was true, you break that rule everytime you go into a cave you havent been. You are trained to run a line, and dive with a line. Nothing about that is above your training, nothing. It might be above your comfort level, a smart diver ( which I think you are ) will evaluate that and let that control your actions, be it turn the dive, continue on and so fourth.

Being a diver (relatively new-60+ dives) and a clinical psychologist, this post caught my interest. I'd like to make a couple comments:
<snip>
Summary? We need to have both 'book' knowledge (i.e., knowing 'that') as well as experiential knowledge (knowing 'how') if we wish to (justifiably) assert that we know something well. We need to really understand that no matter the domain, even with the above, there is a great deal we don't know, and 'don't know we don't know.' Unless, of course, we like to eat crow when we finally manifest our ignorance (for example, on a SB post or in an obituary). As is said, ignorance of our own ignorance is truly ignorance. Finally, we need to work consciously and hard to counteract our relative genetic incompetence at risk assessment, which is amazingly compromised by the fact that we are emotionally invested in our goals...like going diving.

Why do people go way beyond their training/competence? Because we want to, and because we don't actually understand why or when we shouldn't. But i would suggets that the most powerful counter to the impulse, whenyou see it in others, is peer pressure and modeling. Don't agree, don't support, don't aquiesce, don't keep your mouth shut, and most certainly don't go with them. While those who know that they don't know can be taught, both bravado and arrogance tend to dissipate in the absence of an audience.

Wow, Mark! Way to make a dramatic entrance, LOL--your introductory post on SB, and a winner! Welcome--I hope you'll be a frequent contributor to our forums, both for sharing insights like those above as well as for exploring questions for which you'd like to gain our insights.

First, learning via books and research (no matter how thorough) and learning by experience are not interchangable. They are certainly both powerful and important but they are practically and, more relevantly to my point, neurologically independent. That is, different parts of the brain are utilized for each, and you can independently acquire one form of 'knowledge' without the other. (note that this point, as others below, are empirically demonstrated through research.) What is also true is that, while they can be acquired independently, each is necessary to any valid assertion of what is commonly referred to as 'knowing' something, since even a full (impossible, in any case) knowledge in only one domain remains and incomplete knowledge of the topic of interest. So it is theoretically possible to know, via study, everything written or said about a topic, and yet remain quite ignorant (practially and neurologically). The converse is also true about experience; a thousand dives may not teach you what is in one SB post. since it seems obvious that no one is taking either extreme position in the forum, it is a matter of personal perspective, and thus degree, that is being argued.

Second thought: That 'you don't know what you don't know' is necessarily (i.e., logically) true. More relevantly, and in hopefully more helpfully phrased... while we can learn/understand that we do not know everything within an area of study, we necessarily remain ignorant of which particular items or facts, or how many, within a topic that we don't know, and thus remain unable to assess our degree of knowledge or ignorance with any degree of certainty. It seems to me to this factor that is being referred to in the forum. This is why people assert that continued learning is essential, whether they come down on the side of research or of experience.

Third observation: Humans as a species are very poor at risk assessment. This appears to be the case whether or not we have recieved specific education-or experience-at assessing risks. This is, in part, because we are not very competent with statistics and/or research, combined with the fact that we are motivated by the part of the brain that processes emotions - contrary to Aristotle, we are not rational beings, we merely have the capacity for reasoning. Our cortex ('rational' mind) facilitates the pursuit and obtaining of our goals, but our limbic system ( simplistically speaking, our emotional processor) determines our goals. Whether we use reason to check/balance/regulate our emotions/goals in any given instance is individually determined (and obviously some are better at it, or more interested in it, than others). Further, what goals we have are also individually determined. In terms of the forum, it seems to me that the discussions including 'risk-assessment' and 'risk-tolerance' as factors the foregoign: we are not good at it, though we can get better, and what constitutes risk and acceptable risk is emotionally more than rationally derived.

Bravo! Well stated!

Thanks Mark for putting into words what many others thought but lacked the skill or background to verbalize.

Please get serious for a minute. Reread what I said and respond to what I said, not some wholly inaccurate rephrasing of it in your own terms.

As long as we're not misinterpreting anything...

If that is what you want to do, prove that you can go into places that have killed untrained people before so that you can demonstrate that you don't need no stinkin' training, be my guest.

Show me where I wrote that.

My point was to try to illustrate that many here would like to point the finger at someone else's unnecessary risk while keeping a blind eye to their own. In their case it is always "different" "justified" or "reasonable".

Others have enough self-honesty to admit that they too push the limits in their own way.

I fall somewhere in the middle when it comes to diving beyond ones training and formal vs informal education - I see the benefit in both. I also see that people are different and that what works for some, might not work or be necessary for others.

This thread was started by the OP after reading about a new diver wanting to do a cave dive but she expressed it as questioning why anyone would want to dive beyond their training. that is what I am responding to - the general question.

Specifically, I wouldn't recommend anyone make quantum leaps in tackling risk like the case the OP referred to. As I also previously stated this is because I believe in Thal's description of the "cone of safety" concept and don't believe in moving more than one action outside it.

In general terms one can look at diving itself: Some are not comfortable doing it, some only to follow others, some to lead, some to solo. When thinking of a site: Some prefer to go with a group, some hire a guide or DM, some prefer to do their own self-study.

All this explanation and re-referencing is lost on some though, who have their pre-conceived notions and only participate in threads to voice them - without taking the time to think about other POV's.

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation”

Of course, some will believe this does not apply to them because they are right. Waddayagonnado?

---------- Post added December 10th, 2012 at 06:58 PM ----------

Well thought out response Mark but I would hesitate on this last point for some sober reflection. While I see your intention regarding someone "showboating" as it were; this form of exclusion has also been used to quash original thought and creativity and is a favorite tool of totalitarian regimes. The line between "dangerous" and "dangerous to our beliefs" can sometimes become blurred.

I see this tug of war on SB often (though the Mod's have done a good job of maintaining balance). Instructors, technical divers, independantly minded divers and others from standardized regimes all "vie" to sway the tone of the board at times in various threads.

I see this as a good thing as we tend to get all POV's expressed (though at times roughly and amid much heated debate). Imagine if one group managed to gain control of the moderation and "excluded" all others who they felt were unsafe either grossly or by means of gradual degradation of principles.

I "get" what you are saying but sometimes inclusion works as well. Sometimes we even discover what we thought was dangerous was really just different.

Last edited:
Dr. B, thank you for an excellent post, indeed. You reconciled a lot of the discussion in this thread -- many of us are seeing either the cognitive or the experiential component of learning, but not both.

Kevin, yes, training taught me to run line. But experience in diving seldom-seen passage was what prepared me for heavy percolation, and gradually working my way into smaller spaces prepared me for the tightest restriction I've been through yet. Add in heavy flow and line running and . . . well, training gave me the tools, but experience gave me the facility with them to make what I was doing reasonable.

How about pushing one's limits for the sole purpose of improving needed skills?

The take-home message for me, from all my practice, is that I just can't properly visualize my trim and thus be able to correct it in real time. That is how I'm wired. My cheap digital camera and U/W housing easily proves this.

So to combine both the experiental and cognitive with real-time feedback, all I need is a super king-sized dressing room mirror and a pool.

So the cave diving course that you took for fun was worse than any military boot camp. I assumed you must be a US Marine at first, to have had firsthand experience of the "worst" military boot camp, but then thought about all the foreign ones out there and now cannot figure or which one you are referring to.

I am sure the cave training that you took was very difficult, and required a high level of skill to complete. Unless you were living under the constant supervision of your instructor it probably didn't resemble basic training much. I have yet to see the SCUBA course that even remotely compares to any bootcamp and the claims of technical and "old school" divers that they went through training tougher than bootcamp ring very false.

No. It was a figure of speech dude. It was very difficult (to say the least) & have been told by several other divers who have been trained under this instructor. They said they had never seen him so tough on any other student before. 2 yrs & 5-6 attempts to get there with tons of disappointments in between. Sorry if it offended you, I have only the highest regards for those who have, do & will serve.

Back
Top Bottom