Curacao December 21-January 5 - Looking for dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI Rich,Sorry for the tardy reply! Yes, I am always interested in diving, especially in a new area. My only concern would be if we have to walk quite a bit with the equipment as I have a bad back and try to walk as little as possible and usually gear up in the water.

I may bring my diving buddy along, if that's OK. She's a Dutch friend who also vacations in Curacao every Xmas. We met a few years ago on a DiveCharter trip and have become each others' vacation dive buddy since then.

I would love to go on a lion fish hunting expedition and was looking for a group to join. I have never spearfished, so I would need to directions/instruction for how to do it...

Counting the days to the trip!

Regards,

Johanna

PS: I'll DM you my local number.

HI Rich,Sorry for the tardy reply! Yes, I am always interested in diving, especially in a new area. My only concern would be if we have to walk quite a bit with the equipment as I have a bad back and try to walk as little as possible and usually gear up in the water.

I may bring my diving buddy along, if that's OK. She's a Dutch friend who also vacations in Curacao every Xmas. We met a few years ago on a DiveCharter trip and have become each others' vacation dive buddy since then.

I would love to go on a lion fish hunting expedition and was looking for a group to join. I have never spearfished, so I would need to directions/instruction for how to do it...

Counting the days to the trip!

Regards,

Johanna

PS: I'll DM you my local number.

Johanna Cool, Bring your buddy, You only have to carry your gear from ocean encounters to to lions dive beach its about a 50 yards then we can float and kick to the entrance. I have a spear its cool its easy to use and we can share it.
Rich

Hi Johana,

I'm looking for a buddy to dive the "Car Pile at Vaersenbaai", it's a deep dive at around 130 ft., with quite a long swim out (15 mins), but it's a great dive, if you are good on air and up for it let me know?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

That sounds like a cool dive! I've heard of this car pile but don't know anyone who has done it. I've done the Marie Pampoen car pile and last year I did Vaersenbaii several times but not as far out. W

I'm in good shape and great on air, so that's not an issue. Are you thinking of doing the dive on air or nitrox? Have you done this car pile before?

Did it a couple of weeks ago and got some great photographs of the cars/trucks, and am planning to go back soon to get a few more.

I will dive it on air as it's a little to deep for nitrox, swim out on the surface then straight down to about 130 ft. take some snaps, and then a long (+/- 40 minute) shallow 30 to 40 ft. dive back to the beach, just stopping for a while at the cement block (+/-12 ft.) to snap a few more pics of the juvenile fish there.

Johanna Cool, Bring your buddy, You only have to carry your gear from ocean encounters to to lions dive beach its about a 50 yards then we can float and kick to the entrance. I have a spear its cool its easy to use and we can share it.
Rich

Johanna
When I dove the car pile there wasn't much to the car plie but, large tarpin swam through the area. We got our tanks next to the little resturant and the pubic water access
rich

Hi Rich,

I think you are talking about the "Car Pile" at Marie Pompoen (next to Breezes), I'm talking about the one at Vaersenbaai about 20 mins by car to the west of Willemstad, the cars there are in much better shape than at Marie Pompoen (see picture below). The downside is it is deeper and quite a long surface swim out to get there.

Car_2.jpg

Great that you have already been there! I'm in for the dive!

Are you a quick shooter? At that depth all we would have is 4-5 min max. When were you thinking of doing the dive? I arrive December 20 and would love to get a few dives in before the rest of my family arrives on Sunday. Would you be able to dive it on Saturday the 22nd?

I see you dive with Niels. My dive buddy Paulien Oortman and I are scheduled to dive Noordkant with Niels on the 28th. We met diving Oostpunt with Niels three years ago. He paired us up, we hit it off and we've been vacation diving buddies since then.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2012 at 11:39 AM ----------

Wow! what a great shot!

Hi Johanna,

The weekends are a bit difficult for me so it would either have to be the day after you arrive (Friday 21st.) or after Christmas. Yes, I was the "Dive Master" for Niels for just over three years, but stopped working for him at the beginning of this year. I still do guided dives part-time, a couple of days a week, for "The Dive Bus", but now I dive mostly for fun and photography. Sorry I don't know anyone who has a "Spare Air" on the island, I used to have one but it was stolen, if you really feel you need one you would have to bring it with you.

Yes bottom time is very limited at this depth, that is why it is important that we drop down quickly exactly on top of the wrecks!

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Why don't you DM me your local number so we can chat after the 20th. I will be travelling the whole day and don't want to do such a deep dive the very next day. I've extended my trip to January 11 so there is ample time.

Regards,
Johanna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom