Teaching contradictions: differing dive training philosophies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What rule have I made up? You use tables and I use PDCs. The PDCs count each descent as it's own dive. Can you dive within the PDC's limits doing yo-yo dives? I'm sure. Again, your focus is simply one dimensional.

So how many is "multiple"? 2? 10? 100? How many multiple dives were used here?

What rule have I made up? You use tables and I use PDCs. The PDCs count each descent as it's own dive.

Um, that is not correct. My Suunto will record two trips down as one dive if the surface interval is too short.

What rule have I made up? You use tables and I use PDCs. The PDCs count each descent as it's own dive. Can you dive within the PDC's limits doing yo-yo dives? I'm sure. Again, your focus is simply one dimensional.

So how many is "multiple"? 2? 10? 100? How many multiple dives were used here?

My Oceanic Veo 2.0 will continue the dive as a single dive if the SI < 10 minutes.

...You use tables and I use PDCs. The PDCs count each descent as it's own dive.

Um, that is not correct. My Suunto will record two trips down as one dive if the surface interval is too short.

My Oceanic Veo 2.0 will continue the dive as a single dive if the SI < 10 minutes.

Pay attention Pete. Decompression Computer manufacturers don't develop decompression tables, they apply the science of others...

You continue to urinate into the wind and embarrass yourself.

My Cobra and my VT3 would record multiple dives as I surfaced with students. I haven't had to deal with this issue on my new Suunto, so it might have changed.

DCBC, can you only add insults to a discussion now? That's low, even for you.

My Cobra and my VT3 would record multiple dives as I surfaced with students. I haven't had to deal with this issue on my new Suunto, so it might have changed.

DCBC, can you only add insults to a discussion now? That's low, even for you.

PM sent.

I happen to live not far away from the DAN headquarters in Durham NC. Every other month they do a presentation on some aspect of diving/diver safety that is open to the public. At the next one I'll make it a point to find Nick Bird and see what he has to say about all of this. Wonder why he hasn't participated in this thread yet?

I've only managed to read about 90% of this thread... It started off as stimulating, now its feeling a bit more like a lobotomy lol... I have a couple of questions for anyone who can answer. How does the instructors roll in teaching ESA's promote or encourage bounce dives? I have been involved in many types of training and never thought to emulate what an instructor does that was outside the scope of training, I have always chalked it up to he/she does that because they are the instructor and I am/was not an instructor for that particular type of training. I typically do ESA's with students between 20-25 ft. At that depth I have a hard time seeing any issue other then barotrauma which could occur even in a pool training session if one held their breath which we teach otherwise.... I suppose one could probably do this all day and not have any issues. The reduction in pressure from this depth hardly seems to be adequate for bubble formation on ascent... If my students after watching me bounce up and down decided to do the same from that depth on their own time how much risk would really be involved (assuming they don't hold their breath)? For me when someone says they are doing a bounce dive it usually involves a mooring anchor, something relatively deep with little bottom time or possibly recovering an item. So either I missed something that apparently is important or the point is moot. As far as horizontal ESA's I do this in the pool 2x usually, mostly for the student to get comfortable with me lightly holding on to their BC and swimming with them so they don't look confused when we do this in open water and a bit of a confidence builder for the real thing. Besides if their going to hold their breathe I'd rather catch them doing this in the pool horizontally (then rectify) then have to drag them back down in open water. I am open minded on this issue and have yet to decide what side of the fence I fall on... The trump card will be, I will not violate NAUI standards. Now I have read most of the for and against comments so no need for anyone to repeat themselves. If you could answer the highlighted questions that would be greatly appreciated.

My Cobra and my VT3 would record multiple dives as I surfaced with students.
Perhaps you're spending more time on the surface than you thought?

I haven't dived a VT3, but the following excerpt is from a COBRA manual and should help you understand the basic functioning of your PDC.

7.2. Dive numberingSeveral repetitive dives are considered to belong to the same repetitive dive series
when the dive computer has not counted the no-fly time to zero. Within each series,
the dives are given individual numbers. The first dive of the series will be numbered
as DIVE 1, the second as DIVE 2, the third as DIVE 3, and so on.
If you start a new dive with less than five (5) minutes of surface interval time, the dive
computer interprets this as a continuation of the previous dive and the dives are considered
to be the same. The diving display will return, the dive number will remain
unchanged, and the dive time will begin where it left off. After five (5) minutes on the
surface, subsequent dives are, by definition, repetitive. The dive counter displayed in
the Planning mode will increment to the next number if another dive is made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom