Weighting a Zeagle ET for UW photography.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonknee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have been posting a few questions about the Zeagle ET at the BCD forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...-advice-zeagle-et-harness-weight-systems.html

If we take it as a given that I am going to get one of these BCD are there any UW photo people with experience of weighting this an Express Tech to allow greatest positional freedom underwater?

To repeat some info in my other thread that is relevant...

I have taken a camera on nearly 90% of my dives (100+) starting with a disposable and growing through a Canon compact to an Oly DSLR system. I am able to keep the setup neutrally buoyant so don't worry about being nose heavy.

I am short (5'2") and light (60kg) so I usually run 2-4kg of lead when diving my 3/2mm full suit with a 12l aluminium tank on a basic rental jacket BCD. All diving is warm water and nearly always on a 12l alu tank.

Any recommendations on the merits or otherwise of the different Zeagle weight systems and the best position on the body to have them for UW photography

Simon

Guess your problem you are having now is not related with thr bcd but your bouyancy controls, i'm slightly taller than you with 5'6" height with same weight as you. I'm using 1kg weight normally and max at 2kg (if and only if my wetsuit is dried). I have no issue with my bouyancy while taking uw photography. Over weight will actually cause over usage of air and affecting your bouyancy as you take more energy to control your bouyancy.

With 100+ dive logs, you should able to control your bouyancy well. Try to improve your hovering with lesser weight (2kg maybe) and of course dive more to gain experience and learn to control your breathing (like inhale exhale with longer duration).

Remember, your weight must be placed with balance position, like i place my 1kg weight on tank strap to balance my body (instead of placing either side of my bcd's side weight pocket). or, i will put 1kg weight at each side (= 2kg) of the weight pocket to balance my body. Otherwise, you will feel uncomfortable while diving as the body will simply slant to the heavier side.

Besides that, if you are taking uw photo with strobe, there's actually some additional weight on the camera's arm system or the housing or strobes itself. So there's no point adding more unnecessary weight on you which decending yourself.

About BCD such as zeagle et, scout etc, there are saying in light weight bcd system was actually easing you for traveling as it's lighter and compact compare to common bulk bcd. That's what makes it expensive. You will find some difficulties for first few dives when floating on the surface as you basically lean forward to the surface as the air is all focused at your back. Of course, it looks cool tough.

don worry about bcd with your uw photography. Just make sure it suit your size, not too big nor too small. As long as you feel comfortable, it's good bcd :)

hi Hashsaz,

Thanks for the response but I should clarify a bit. I currently have no problems, I always run as little weight as possible balanced on a belt, my rig with strobe is only slightly negative (0.2kgs at most), I have good buoyancy control, I breath well. Now of course I can get better with more diving but then so can everyone :).

I am fed up with using whatever old BCD the dive centre has. So I intend to buy my own and would really like a travel wing. The Zeagle ET appears the best value for money, the simplest, most modular and lightest.

I have read as much as I can about wings but I do not have an opportunity to try before I buy. So I want to know whether uw photographers with wings ever have a problem holding non horizontal-face-down positions, such as on their back or headstands, compared to jacket BCDs.

However I reckon from the lack of responses that this is a non-issue and hence it is a Zeagle Express Tech from Santa for me!

Simon

Simon,
i use several wings, one of them is a Hollis Ride travel wing very similar to the Zeagle Express Tech.
Depending on you buoyancy control and how heavy/light your legs are you probably should put some pounds
high on the tank to bring your legs/fins up to protect the environment.
I have weight pockets on all my bcd's and trim pockets on the upper strap to counterbalance the weight in my pockets,
to achieve a nice horizontal buoyancy.
Chris

Since you are with good buoyancy control, not to worry about wings :) you will feel more comfortable while taking photo, but maybe not for the first time, you will anyway in love with it. The only problem with wings is during surface as i mentioned before, but you will later get used to it. Not a problem anyway :) Wish you receive a great christmas gift from Santa :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom