Video from my last Similan liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AleG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last February I went to the Similans on the Peter Pan liveaboard. One thing I wanted to try was to use my new GoPro Hero2 to record the dives, mounted on my forehead... yes, yes, very dorky indeed!

I have to say I'm not very enthusiastic about the results, the GoPro, even this new model, handles underwater white balance rather poorly. The image quality is sharp, using an Oculus flat port, but colours and exposure leave a lot to be desired.
Besides that I've concluded that it's quite a chore to sift through all that footage to pick up some good shots. All in all I ended up with 115 video clips totaling 5 or 6 hours of footage.

Anyway, here it goes:

[video=vimeo;39768581]http://vimeo.com/39768581[/video]

isn't Ruth at min 5.18 pointing at smng ?
(just came back from peter pan trip)

---------- Post added April 21st, 2012 at 04:37 PM ----------

PS nice video!

isn't Ruth at min 5.18 pointing at smng ?
(just came back from peter pan trip)

---------- Post added April 21st, 2012 at 04:37 PM ----------

PS nice video!

Yes, that's Rut, helping my friend take a photo of a giant grouper at Richelieu Rock.

By the way, GoPro is planning to release a new firmware for the Hero2 that will allow to use the full dynamic and colour range of the sensor for post processing, I'll have to test it and see how much the white balance can be adjusted.

Wow great video AleG!! Do you have any info on your experience with Peter Pan liveaboard? My girlfriend and I will be in Thailand for three months starting gin November and would like to book a 4D/4N trip with a good company. If you have any info it would be appreciated :D

Thanks!
Z

The experience was very good, the boat crew were always very helpful and friendly but keep in mind they don't speak much English.
The divemasters were good, very nice and easy going, although I couldn't tell if they would be the same ones today as in earlier this year, probably not.
The cabin I had in the upper deck was very small, but since I only went in to sleep it's not a big issue for me personally.
I can honestly say that there wasn't a single thing to object during the trip so I can recommend it.

Thanks for the info AleG and keep posting more of those amazing videos!! :cheers:

Superb video, thanks for sharing! I don't think the colors are too bad, there is no continuous strobe so there is not much you can do. I can imagine that all the editing is quite a chore though. The more photos I take , the less I want to process them. Video must be that much more difficult!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom