Vehicle recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, there we were
Driving through the snow
In 4WD we go
Laughing all the way
With presents for the kids
And KCs lighting the way
No red nose needed here

Ho, ho, ho

When in my yon headlight glow
Sat a 06 Wrangler Rubicon
Sitting high and jaunty on Terraflex lift
With big wheels shod in 35 inch rubber
I handed the merry salesman some dough
And off we went into the snow

Ho, ho, ho

I now have two Jeep Wranglers
Oh, my wife is in quite a fret
I am in a shock
But it looked so lonely in the snow
With a for sale sign and a bow on it's nose
So I gave it a new home
And now I may need a new home

Ho, ho, ho

N

I submit that the Toyota would be much better.....

I looked at the FJ as well in my search, and was disappointed how limited the cargo space was. Less even than my '08 Outback and certainly less than in a newer Forester. No way the OP could fit all the gear mentioned in the FJ.

When in my yon headlight glow
Sat a 06 Wrangler Rubicon
Sitting high and jaunty on Terraflex lift
With big wheels shod in 35 inch rubber
I handed the merry salesman some dough
And off we went into the snow

Nice :) no doubt you're in trouble with your wife :D

The Santa Fe is an early front runner - the rear seats unbolt and the underfloor storage area is easily removed, leaving an almost flush cargo area. It's significantly lower than other vehicles whose seats fold down flush, so handling and visibility are probably better when loaded, plus there's more room for other cargo. A three row version is coming out in a couple of months.

A platform of some sort would probably still be necessary to create strong recessed tiedowns, but it offers much greater utility than the frequent dead space of a pickup bed.

I have a RAV 4 and there is enough room for all that. While not scootering I have had two sets of doubles (mine), two 40 stages, an al80 stage, plus another divers 4 singles and his two 30's, drysuits, gear boxes, tent, canopy, folding chairs, overnight duffles, and food. Only thing is I need to add some spring helpers to it as the ass end rides a little low with the aluminum carrier on the back. They are like 80 bucks and take an hour to install so they say. Just need the weather here to clear up a bit or my buddy to get his boat out of the way in the barn.

Oh and loaded with that gear I got 27 mpg on the highway. Mine's the 4 cyl version.

Rear seats fold down flat and like the SF it has under floor storage in the back. Big enough in there for a couple 80's or equivalent items. I keep my emergency gear, O2 kit, and trauma bag along with some blankets, and misc stuff for everyday use. Dive weekends it gets repacked as needed.

No trucks. Hmmm.

Well, oddly enough, the most popular Northern California Technical dive vehicle: The Toyota Prius. :shocked2: I'm not even kidding a little bit. During "tech weekends" at Point Lobos half the parking lot will be Prius's, each with their own X-table and sets of dubs.

Claudette has a Honda Element. She doesn't dive with doubles, but a stack of 8 HP 130's, a bunch of stages, and 2 scooters more than makes up for it. I know she's exceeding the GVWR on a daily basis, and doesn't seem to have any issues.

One of my technical buddies, Michael, has a Toyota Scion that he cheerfully loads up with 2 sets of dubs, a pile of stages, and a Cuda 850. And Michael isn't a small guy, either. He says he's had to replace tires a bit more often than you might expect, but otherwise...fine.

All the best, James

If Toyota would please import the HiAce van with diesel option then it would be the dive vehicle.

Toyota Hiace - YouTube

And, while they are at it, the Tacoma is nice but I would prefer the world platform HiLux diesel.

Toyota HiLux homepage

The world is not paved, yet, many if not most of the places I go, diving or otherwise, I need high clearance and 4WD. I do not see a Prius in my future.

And Ford, you have sc---d America again, while the rest of the world gets the new diesel Ranger mid size, we get the honk'n huge F150 with that stupid EcoBoost gaser. WTH. It does not fit in my garage, I will not buy it. Give me the Ranger and I will sign up for one and put my money down. Otherwise it will be back to Toyota who has not yet forgotten that not everybody needs gigantic vehicles and not everybody weighs 350 pounds and lives in a Hummer Castle.

All-New Ford Ranger Powers Ahead for Fuel Efficiency with Potent Diesel and Petrol Engines | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

N

Midsize trucks with modern diesel technology would be very nice. Americans are too much in love with straight-line acceleration to get into diesel engines though :D Both the HiLux and the Ranger looks like nice options.

I know it wont have the needed room for offroad but Im looking to get a 02 or so
Jetta SportWagen TDI. 40mpg with plenty of room for lots of gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom