GoPro 3 Black or silver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife was kind enough to get me the hero 3 silver (they didn't have black in stock) for christmas for our upcoming trip to bonaire in June. After reading the specs I was wondering if I should return it and get the black. We are vacation divers since we are from Missouri and have only previously dove with a borrowed 35 in Belize (which took horrrible pictures). We just want a camera that we can truly share the diving experience with friends thinking about getting cert. Any info would be fantastic. I would rather drop the extra $100 now than be sorry when we get home.
Keith

The silver will really do fine for most people. Look how many folks got great results with the HD2. If you are no doing low light, and trying to do a lot of post production editing, I say stick with what you have. If you just want to have the best, the switch.

---------- Post added December 27th, 2012 at 11:21 PM ----------

Additionally, I have three GoPros and an Intova. If it was not for the low light issue and the fact I am really trying to make some nice videos and do this weekly, I would have stuck with what I had.

Hi Keith,

The black is going to give you a range of much higher quality video / FPS shooting options, improved low light capability, Pro-tune, plus comes with the RC.

So what that means is options for slow motion scenes without the need to use high end post production plugins or software - higher quality less grainy video output in low light including night shooting - Pro Tune which basically provides you with a higher quality flat level image that allows the user to have more control over colour balance, saturation etc in the editing software. In other words a lot more techy stuff to do when editing.

So if you wanting the options for professional cinema quality videos and into your post production editing, then definitely the Black. Otherwise as with most users, the Silver offers fantastic quality, features and the new flat lens housing delivers a super clear image in and out of the water

Hi Keith,

The black is going to give you a range of much higher quality video / FPS shooting options, improved low light capability, Pro-tune, plus comes with the RC.

So what that means is options for slow motion scenes without the need to use high end post production plugins or software - higher quality less grainy video output in low light including night shooting - Pro Tune which basically provides you with a higher quality flat level image that allows the user to have more control over colour balance, saturation etc in the editing software. In other words a lot more techy stuff to do when editing.

So if you wanting the options for professional cinema quality videos and into your post production editing, then definitely the Black. Otherwise as with most users, the Silver offers fantastic quality, features and the new flat lens housing delivers a super clear image in and out of the water

Thanks for the reply,
It is the low light capability that we were most concerned about with the diving. Do you think I would be better off spending my $ on a couple filters from SRP to improve color then?

Any filter will reduce light into the lens of any type of camera. The coloured filters used when diving at depths or in different seas is to compensate for loss of natural colours. It won't make the images brighter. You can play around with your editing software to improve colour correction errors and boost brightness etc. But remember, this is all artificial. The best results come from the original footage. If you will be doing any night diving or be in situations of really low light like in caves, wrecks etc then go the Black. Otherwise the Silver will do the job fine. If in doubt and the extra bucks is no issue then go the Black

What do you think, is low light issue much better solved on Hero3 than it was on Hero2?

Hero2 can struggle...

What about Hero3 silver vs Black as regards lower light conditions? Any hands on experience yet?

I also received the GoPro Hero 3 Silver for Christmas but I returned it today for the Black because I like the idea of being able to shoot video and take pictures at the same time. It is my understanding that the Silver does not have that capability.

Does having that option matter to you?

What do you think, is low light issue much better solved on Hero3 than it was on Hero2?

Hero2 can struggle...

What about Hero3 silver vs Black as regards lower light conditions? Any hands on experience yet?

To answer your first question, yes. The 3 handles low light much better than the 2. I do not have a silver to test with, but between my 3 Black and my 2, it is no question a hands down win for the Black.

Thanks for all your replies. decisions.... decisions...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom