Practicality of swapping wet lenses underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a lot of years using Inon stacked macro lenses and an Inon WA on my Oly 5060. You get used to the weight and small hassle of carrying them around and screwing them on an off (I had the 67mm thread versions). It does offe great flexibility to be able to potentially shoot whatever comes up on a dive. The previous comments about missing a shot by trying to madly put on whatever lens is desired are correct. You will absolutely insure that as you are putting on the wide angle for the manta, something small and once-in-a-lifetime will pop directly in front of you.

Having said that, i graduated to an Oly E-PL2 and have decided that the best all around set up for me is to use the stock 14-42 lens behind a Zen dome port. That gives me a true 28mm (equivalent) wide angle to 84mm zoom. By adding the Oly 67mm threaded holder with one or two Inon macro lenses, I can very quickly do almost anything since the holder just snaps on and off very quickly. It's almost the best of all worlds for the way i shoot. If i know I am going to be on a wreck or in a forest of soft coral, i put the 9-18 behind the zoom and go only wide angle. If i am night diving and overloading on macro subjects, I put the 14-42 behind the Oly flat port to get the extra 30% or so magnification, and then stack the Inon lenses on top of that.

Anyway, I would recommend the add on lenses for your rig, they give you more options for sure. Good luck!

Interesting what you are saying here Jghflash.
I am considerding the Oly OMD EM-5, but I was gonna go for the 12-50mm (in order to get true macro). Of course I'm sure I'll miss the versatility of compacts... I have a G12 with an Inon 165. I have never used or seen a Zen dome port. Am I correct when I understand that you can use your Inon 165 on your Zen dome port? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm just not sure what it looks like. Googling it gave me images of fat domes and smaller ones.
How much magnification can you get with your Inon 165s behind your dome? (If indeed you can use them.)
Thanks

Edit: I just saw in your signature that you use your 165s with the flat port...

Actually, I do use the 165's with the Zen port, that is my favorite all-around set up. 14-42 lens behind the Zen dome port and then use the Inon lenses in the Oly holder. If you put one on it is a perfect "portrait" lens. With both you can take super-macro shots. The only thing I had to do was add some self stick "hook" side velcro to the top and bottom of the Zen port. It is a little smaller diameter than the Oly flat port and that keeps it snug on the port. You get 30% or so more magnification using the flat port over the dome port, but to have true 28mm to 84mm, and the opportunity to add stacked 165's on the same dive, is really handy!

Thanks for that, but that only makes more confused haha! Another option to consider now, I thought I decided on the 12-50mm and Nauticam port in Nauticam housing (which costs $$$$), but now that sounds pretty good too. Although I feel I might want better macro capability (hard to judge because I'm not sure how your system performs).
I still have a lot of thinking to do!

Actually, I do use the 165's with the Zen port, that is my favorite all-around set up. 14-42 lens behind the Zen dome port and then use the Inon lenses in the Oly holder. If you put one on it is a perfect "portrait" lens. With both you can take super-macro shots. The only thing I had to do was add some self stick "hook" side velcro to the top and bottom of the Zen port. It is a little smaller diameter than the Oly flat port and that keeps it snug on the port. You get 30% or so more magnification using the flat port over the dome port, but to have true 28mm to 84mm, and the opportunity to add stacked 165's on the same dive, is really handy!

This is of great interest to me, but I can't quite get my head around it. What is the "Oly holder" you speak of and how does it attach to the dome port? I gather that you are able add the 165's during the dive, presumably using a 67mm screw thread? How good is the macro - eg how would it be with small nudibranchs?

Don't suppose you are able to post a photo of your setup? Would be great to see just what it looks like so I can understand it better.

Cheers.

I recently bought a Saga flip adapter to mount my wet macro lens. It looks very good out of the box. Easy to set up and should allow me to flip a macro diopter in to place quickly. Since macro is one of my main interests, that was all I needed.

Do you have a picture of your setup somewhere? I have also never used a zen dome port; when using it, do you take out the port of the housing and replace it with a different port? And _then_ do you attach the glass dome or is it "not separable" with the port?

I hope I have made myself clear enough. :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom