Help picking a strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, well I have never used a strobe before, so very infamiliar with them. I have a canon s95 with wpdc38 housing plus some macro lens that I intend to be using in lembeh later this year. Can anyone recommend the best strobe for my setup. I had been looking at s2000, d2000 and some
Sea and sea ones but bit confused and unsure what to buy, and as they are not cheap I don't wanna get one that's not appropriate or as good as I could have got!

Any ideas or info to help me will be much appreciated.

Cheers

There are several options, but I have only used Inon's. I have a D-180 and a D2000, both are great and I recommend them. The S2000 is a little smaller so that could be a good option.

The first advice is to buy the best one you can afford since strobes typically outlast at least three generations of cameras. Second advice is to get as much power as you think you will ever need then get a bit more. That being said, two smaller strobes will generally be a better fit than one large one, particularly for Lembeh where most of what you shoot will be in the muck and mostly small stuff.

For that setup I would start with 2 S2000 strobes or 2 YS01 strobes. Both are small and both work well with sttl protocols from the camera. If that is too much money (take a look at the classifieds though since used strobes occasionally come up for sale) then I would go with one or the other. There are larger more powerful strobes (D1 from S&S and the Z240 from Inon) that are great and will last a long time but you can get 2 smaller ones for a bit more than one of the bigger ones.

For Lembeh, I take 2 s2000 strobes with me (and a third for backup); for places where wide angle is more likely then a couple of D1 or Z240 (or one of each) will go in the bag.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom