Looking into crossing over to TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kierentec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
hello, I am a PADI trimix instructor looking to crossover to TDI do I can begin working towards my optima CCR instructor rating. I have noticed the eLearning program on the website, which seems pretty straightforward, and will most likely have an opportunity to complete the interview portion next month in Bonaire at their Tec event. all seems simple enough, however, what are the annual dues and insurance requirements like? I am insured through my shop through vincencia and buckley, will this cover me for TDI, or will I have to obtain other insurance?

just trying to figure out if the cost will be worth the end means. $500 for the online crossover, a couple hundred a year in dues, and another $5-600 a year for insurance and I would have to be teaching a lot of extra classes to make it worth it.

Why would you need additional insurance? When I crossed over all I did was add SDI/TDI as another agency I cert with. Course I'm with Witherspoon so I don't know what V&B would do. If they were to hassle you just drop em and go with another carrier. Don't forget that tech classes as I'm sure you well know command premium prices. Students are willing to pay, can pay, and will pay for quality instruction. It's been well worth it for me.

that is why I asked about the requirements and if my V&B would cover it. I will have to call them tomorrow and see if they will cover TDI courses. my employer covers my insurance costs through their group policy, and if I were to go outside of that policy I would most likely have to cover it myself.

Why? TDI has gotten better training materials in the past few years, but they still don't hold a candle to PADI materials. TDI has a certain cachet which PADI lacks as a newer comer to the scene, but I have no issue accepting either card.

Check with V&B to see if they will insure you to teach the Optima. My facility insurance (through Willis) is accepted by PADI as well as TDI. I pay way less for TDI instructor dues than I do for PADI dues. Annual membership renewal is $150.

---------- Post Merged at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:05 PM ----------

....and if my V&B would cover it. I will have to call them tomorrow and see if they will cover TDI courses. ...

V&B is in California. They are still there....

Why? TDI has gotten better training materials in the past few years, but they still don't hold a candle to PADI materials. TDI has a certain cachet which PADI lacks as a newer comer to the scene, but I have no issue accepting either card.

Check with V&B to see if they will insure you to teach the Optima. My facility insurance (through Willis) is accepted by PADI as well as TDI. I pay way less for TDI instructor dues than I do for PADI dues. Annual membership renewal is $150.

---------- Post Merged at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:05 PM ----------

V&B is in California. They are still there....

just looking to cross over to teach CCR, all OC courses will still be PADI. PADI requires you add a BOV to the optima for it to qualify for their CCR programs. love PADI materials, but their standards get in the way sometimes.

yes, V&B is still open, but I've checked out for the day, gonna be sitting on the boat all morning tomorrow anyways...a 10 minute phone call is a great excuse to not scrub stainless for at least a half hour or so :wink:

Jon,
Most insurances will allow you to add other agencies as additional insureds, but it would be wise to check to make sure you will have coverage. If you are currently listed on the facility's insurance policy they may not allow you to conduct private classes under that store policy. Therefore you would need to secure your own personal professional liability policy.
As far as completing the "interview" or face-to-face meeting to finalize your crossover, Brian Carney ITI President will be in Bonaire and would be happy to facilitate the meeting and get you finished up. You can contact him at brian.carney@tdisdi.com.
Good luck!

I think most are requiring the BOV as they don't want the mouthpiece coming out. I just took the online SDI / TDI cross over class and it was insightful with the history.

I suppose I should post an update on the crossover.

We (my fiancée and I) did the online crossover course, and finished up with Brian Carney at Buddy Dive Bonaire's tech week in October, my fiancée did her Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures inst. courses with Brian at that time as well. We have been conducting TDI programs since, and have really had a great experience. We fell in love with their training philosophy and the flexibility that they give their instructors. It's gone so well, in fact, that we have accepted positions working at headquarters in their training and marketing departments starting next month.

so, for anybody thinking about making this crossover, I highly recommend :)

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 09:46 PM ----------

P.S. to answer my original question, the V&B insurance through my store covered TDI courses at no additional charge, and TDI/SDI member dues are very reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom