From Plane to Water - Am I giving myself enough time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In theory, wouldn't you be starting with less nitrogen in your blood due to decreased ppN2 because of the pressure reduction in the airplane, thereby making it safer to dive?

although i am no diver(not yet) i do read lots of things and this 1 is something i read before, since it is relevant to the discussion....

Here is an answer from DAN to a thailand resort manager?

Diving After Flying

Also an article from scuba diving magazine(although i realize many here dont like it this article is still from DAN)

I think me record is less then 1 hour, last year when we arrived in Bonaire after dinner. We checked in at the resort, then Dad and I headed directly to the dock with our gear. Mom and the sisters (wimps) brought our suitcases to the room and unpacked :)

I think me record is less then 1 hour, last year when we arrived in Bonaire after dinner. We checked in at the resort, then Dad and I headed directly to the dock with our gear. Mom and the sisters (wimps) brought our suitcases to the room and unpacked :)

You got through passport control and luggage collection in Bonaire in less than one hour? Respect!!

I have actually flown into the dive site once, and was in the water in 15 minutes of hitting the deck... but that's a whole different story.

No problem flying then diving, it's the return that causes trouble.

I'm waiting for the "we hired a sea-plane, landed, and splashed"......

That would earn my respect! :worship:

If you review your gas theory you'd realize diving after flying is a non issue assuming you don't have another medical issue such as clots from inactivity on long flights. Issues occur when you fly too soon after diving since flying is similar to ascending to 5000-8000' after a dive. Your body needs time to off gas before you can go to higher altitudes.

We have a friend that was bent on a trip to Bonaire. Flying the redeye, drinking alcohol on the aircraft, being generally dehydrated, and hopping quickly into the water all were presumed to be contributory.

All the best, James

Fdog

I think the big clue is in Your phrase 'drinking alcohol on the flight'.

I generally use alcohol to pass away the discomforts of economy class. But stick to water if I'm planning to dive any time soon after landing.

After extended flights you will actually have less nitrogen (lower nitrogen partial pressure) in your body than normal so there is absolutely no issue with diving after flying.
(So theoretically jumping into the water straight from the plane should give you longer NDL times)

However you might be dehydrated, tired and maybe cold.
Make sure you drink water (no alcohol), get some sleep instead of watching movies take-off to landing and in general make sure you fill fit.

Hope you have some great dives!

Back
Top Bottom