I have a completely off the wall thing to ask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This isn't dive related and it's not worth going to see a doctor about but I'm curious if any the medical professionals can shed some light on something.

First of all, I'm not crazy, psychotic, bi-polar or whatever, I don't have Parkinson's or anything similar and I've never suffered any brain damage aside from a concussion that I got in a martial arts tournament once. I'm perfectly healthy. This could be relevant to what I'm about to say next, but I'm also fairly musical. I play a couple of instruments, including piano, albeit badly now that I don't play in a band anymore and don't have the time (or discipline) to practice every day.

But... (here it comes)

I hear music. Like ALL the time.

Much of the time it's just a background thing like a jingle or whatever running through my head but it's constant, like a radio in the background that never turns off. For example, as I'm writing this I'm hearing "Freak on a Leash" from Korn, a song I haven't heard for maybe 8 months or so, maybe longer. There's no reason for it, but there it is. And I can hear it in clear detail. Tonality, pitch, ever nuance.... Just like a radio turned very soft.

But the background stuff isn't too bad and sometimes I'm not aware of it at all, especially if I'm concentrating on something else. But it sometimes gets a little distracting. Last week, for example, I had a cold but I needed to get a lot of stuff going at my new job so I just took Paracetamol all week to keep it down and by Friday I had "37 stitches" from ... who are those guys.... mmmmm.... oh yeah, from "Drowning Pool" but it was just weird. I'd hear the song in my head as clear as day but at the very same time there was a piano version of it -- of my own invention -- being overlayed on it, as if listening to this music created in my mind a completely different composition that fit exactly in the timing, tone and rhythm but played on an acoustic piano. Like a piece of rock music and a piece of classical music getting played at the same time but fitting together somehow like lego. (believe me if I could get these piano pieces down on paper I'd make money with it because it's quite good! ). Point here being that drugs can sometimes turn up the volume a bit.

A fin, the point is that it can get distracting like this. And it can get even worse. On rare occasions I'll wake up in the middle of the night thinking that the stereo is on, blaring, in fact, or that the phone is ringing (I'll even get up and go answer it) or like someone is in my bedroom playing an instrument. There's never anything there. On one occasion it was so loud and so distracting that it woke me up out of a deep sleep and it sounded like there was a party going on .... that freaked the bejesus out of me because I thought it was some kind of metaphysical thing that was beyond my control. but I'm pretty sure that it was the same kind of auditory hallucination that I often have, only without form and very VERY loud, like being in a metro car full of people talking. I've only had that once and that's the worst it's ever been.

I've never really thought about this much since I've had this backdrop of music in my head to one degree or another for as long as I can remember.... I also know that it's not that uncommon among musicians, I know Mozart, Schubert and Tchaikovsky all had well documented cases of this, and Beethoven's auditory imagination was so pronounced that he could even write music (playing entire symphonies in his head) after he had gone completely deaf. I don't want to compare myself to them but because of reading about them I know that such things do occur and apparently affect a certain percentage of the population. I also know that it can get a lot worse than just a "backdrop" (Tchaikovsky was reported to have said that the music in his head could get so loud that it hurt.... which probably explains some of his symphonies LOL.... share the pain :D).

My question is this: what the heck is it, actually? Is there some medical explanation for why this happens?

R..

Maybe you have those old style fillings getting radio signals.......or you need to make a visit to the couch

Yeah, I've heard (as it were) that people who are hard of hearing can have musical hallucinations but aside from a bit of high-frequency hearing loss (and slight tinnitus) due to playing in a band, I'm not particularly hard of hearing (just don't tell my wife :))

R..

---------- Post added January 14th, 2013 at 04:43 PM ----------

.or you need to make a visit to the couch

The couch isn't big enough for the whole band... LOL

I don't think my problem is psychiatric. I'm completely normal.... I think.

R..

Hmm.... couple of interesting articles. I'm getting the impression that I should be old or deaf if I'm having this. Also, I don't know if it's the media making a big thing about it, but it doesn't drive me crazy. It's just kind of like having some kind of musical background noise. Imagine a minor case of tinnitus but instead of it being one tone it's a song or part of a song and it changes from day to day. The only thing that can be irritating is if it gets locked in on some number that you absolutely can't stand. Fortunately, I'm a musical "omnivore" so it doesn't happen much but imagine having a whole day of having to listen to that awful tinny, march from "Hogan's Heros" over and over and over and over..... LOL. It's happened. Happily I'm a fan of rock and classical music so my muse is usually something that I've heard recently and like more. Actually, I never thought about it but maybe listening to music is what makes it change every so often....I have no idea. It's odd that most people report hearing carols and such. I don't usually get that. 9 times out of 10 it's rock music or classical with a strong bass tone, hence the Korn and the "Drowning Pool" I mentioned before.

R..

p.s. I wonder if this can explain why I have a terrible time understanding what people are saying to me if there is a lot of background noise. Not LOUD background noise, but any kind of complex sounds. It's not like I can't hear them but more like I can't make out what they're saying because my brain can't seem to filter out or "turn off" background sounds. So it all gets in with the same intensity as the person I'm talking to. So when I'm listening to someone on a busy street, for example, the sounds of the cars and the wind and the other people or even the sound of my own shoes on the pavement all conspire to "confuse" what I'm hearing and make it like trying to listen to the person right beside me as if we were in a room with 2000 other people who are all talking to me at the same time. and that IS irritating.

I have a musical sound track playing in my head virtually all the time. What annoys me is that, frequently, the piece of music that is playing is something I don't even particularly LIKE . . . I haven't had it awaken me or some of the other things you mention, but it's always there, and most of the time, I rather like it. Edited to add that I also share your inability to understand speech in noisy settings. I've spent a lot of dates nodding pleasantly at full stops :)

Stopping to think . . . I'm not sure I hear it when I'm diving. Do you hear yours underwater?

Sometimes my right foot feels like there is a heavy bass speaker near by I have even picked up my foot to see if it was coming from the floor, weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom