Wonder If There Are Sharks around your Dive Site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecotrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I came across this web site from a CNN report about OCEARCH tagging and tracking 40 sharks. Their site has each shark plotted with detailed information about their time of "ping" and exact location. They are doing this on a google map maps. Really cool to see that this 16ft Great White named Mary Lee was near my last dive site :)

OCEARCH Global Tracking Central

Pretty cool technology.

None near me but I guess they are Great Whites

Mary Lee passed within 200 ft of the beach near Jax Fl this past week.

Thanks for the heads up. Really cool. Mary Lee seems to like the beach. Good things to eat!

We usually find out there is a shark nearby when a surfer gets bitten on accident. During shark season they are always around, but in 10 ft of vis we just don't see them :cool2: Our shark trackers on the West Coast suck. They are always months behind, but most tags have to be picked up by a buoy.

They often hunt within 200 ft to our shoreline, as it is typically steep, and that is where the seals and sea lion meals are easy prey.

Wish we could use surfers as "canary birds," but being on the leeward side there aren't many waves!

Not a big fan of OCEARCH, but I do find the tracking maps interesting.

Wish we could use surfers as "canary birds," but being on the leeward side there aren't many waves!

We do that about four times a year here in Cape Town. Not ideal as the mrs will not let me dive False Bay for about a month after each great white attack. Now I show the OCEARCH website to be allowed to dive false bay.

If you sign up for a great white dive, most likely you will be taken to False Bay. Unfortunately if you sign up for a wreck dive, you will also most likely be taken to False Bay.

I have never managed to combine a wreck dive with a great white dive. Probably better as I am usually solo and don't have a buddy to reduce my chances of being eaten to 50%. :D

I never wonder if they are sharks around my dive site. I dive in the ocean, sharks live in the ocean. All I hope is to see one while diving some day and return to tell the story.

As opposed to a weirdo like me who always wonders if there are any nearby and hopes he NEVER sees one (not that I'm scared or paranoid about it).

I did have a 14 ft GSW swim behind me when I was buddied up with Wyland so he could film giant sea bass off our island. Apparently it did briefly check us out and swam on to the sea lion hauling grounds. Several friends of mine have seen GWS while diving island waters, but they have not shown any aggressive behavior and either just swim by... or swim away from the divers. Of course our water tends to have decent visibility. I avoid areas with murky water or poor vis and areas where the sea lions hang out. The only time I've actually seen them (rather than sensed them) was from the "safety" of a cage off Guadalupe while filming them with Dr. Guy Harvey back in 2005.

We did have a GWS take a sea lion just outside the dive park last June and another one was seen doing the same thing off our East End.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom