Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Cenote Dive Videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are great! I'm currently in PDC diving with my Dad. We did Dreamgate Cenote today. Beautiful! We did Dos Ojos, Chac Mool and KuKulKan previously. I am always impressed with the Cenotes. They never cease to amaze!

I got back from my Mexico dive vacation and I had some time to edit and upload "highlights". Enjoy!
All of this was shot with a Hero2 + dive housing + SRP Dome Filter (except cenotes)
I shot footage in 1080px30 fps. In retrospect, I should have shot it in 720px60 fps to smooth it out.

Nice video's.....and I agree with shooting at 720/60....to me they just look smoother than footage shot at 1080/30 ...yours are not that jerky, but I have seen some that were really hard to watch.

For posting online and watching on a computer, 720 is plenty

Dreamgate is not that far from Dos Ojos in Playa Del Carmen. This site (Dreamgate) has a little more about it. This site is not the dive company we use, but it has some good info on Dreamgate. Very pretty cenote!

Strange, most of the maps I've been looking at online don't have that one listed. Only found a few that do.
How did it compare to Dos Ojos? I've only got a few coenotes left to do by Playa so I'm trying to make a list of ones I can do.
You should try Chikin Ha and The Gran Cenote next :wink:

---------- Post added January 20th, 2013 at 11:59 AM ----------

Nice video's.....and I agree with shooting at 720/60....to me they just look smoother than footage shot at 1080/30 ...yours are not that jerky, but I have seen some that were really hard to watch.

For posting online and watching on a computer, 720 is plenty

I agree, 720/60 is perfect. I keep my POV on wide as well, looks funny above water but once your under it's just perfect.
Unfortunately my dive lights(Trustfire TR-D003) had to much of a hot spot for the cenotes, great seeing from a far but once I looked at something within 10' it was over exposed... and that was with diffusers on lol. As you can see they have corroded into nothingness since so I'm salvaging what I can.

The reason why the gopro has high frame rate modes is because it has been designed for sky, bikes, surf and similar, all above water scenarios at high speed of movement with plenty of light
Underwater there is not much light and doubling the frame rate means doubling the noise, if you add that a filter also takes light away you see how you are now 4 times higher in terms of gain and therefore noise
Which means it goes well when you have plenty of light on a shallow sandy bottom but when you go deeper it gets grainy quite soon at 60p

Oh you mean like this!
vlcsnap-2013-01-20-12h54m25s143_zps56e77db0.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-12h53m54s88_zpsac012e5e.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-12h53m47s16_zpsf7a5c3fe.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-12h53m45s251_zpse7af141e.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-12h53m39s192_zpsb528daf1.png

Watching it on my 22" monitor hurts. I need at least 4000 lumens of flood.

Uhm yes the gopro cameras have poor low light performance they don't need to be stressed with high frame rates
The recommendations you read on the web are general for land use not for diving, in the water you need to evaluate what is right or wrong from time to time
Is it better to have fewer higher quality frames or many grainy ones? Probably the first, on the other hand in shallow water and sandy bottom you actually need a higher shutter speed
So there is not a one size fit all I am afraid as there is not the best filter or similar
One thing is sure though if you have a hero3 shooting in 2.3K is a good idea as then you can crop a lot of the blur and shakyness away

From what I've read most divers prefer 720/60.
Yes they do have poor low light performance.. because of the really small sensor.
"doubling the frame rate means doubling the noise" Can you explain what you mean by this?
How would 1080 get rid of the noise?

Back
Top Bottom