Cocoview vs. Buddy Dive, Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just discovered I can get good flights to either Roatan or Bonaire from Miami in late March, so I'm considering either Cocoview in the former or Buddy Dive on the latter. Anyone have experience at both who can compare them for me?

The most important thing: I'll be traveling on my own, so I'm looking for a place where it's easy to find buddies not just but to dive with, share photos with, etc. I know these are different types of places - Cocoview more self-contained, Buddy with more transients - but I'm still eager for opinions of both or either.
I have stayed at Buddy Dive so many times we consider it our 2nd home, and the staff there as family. Also have stayed a Cocoview many times back in the day when Mr Bill owned the place. Both have their own appeal. For a single diver going alone, not in a group, I would say CCV/Roatan may be a better choice as there are 2 boat departures a day and it can be easy to find someone to buddy up with. At Buddy Dive there are usually dive groups there that take off together in trucks, so as a solo traveler it may not be as easy to find a companion willing to take you on. Air travel to Bonaire from here is out of Newark,direct flight no connections,no layovers!.No need to go to Miami connection. Just for your information, being that you have not booked as of yet, I have a group going to Roatan April 27th, staying next door to Cocoview. We originally planned on CCV but there was limited space available at the time. We are at Fantasy Island Resort. Same exact shore dive locations ,open 24/7 as CCV,3 boat trips a day,1 night boat dive,3 meals a day,beverages,etc..and I should be able to get you a roommate to avoid single supplement costs.;Also have 2 instructors going if any specialties/training dives requested..of course photos will be shared....We are out of NY located out of Westchester NY. I have some space left for this group if you would like to join us. I also have group booking on airfare that worked out very reasonable. So if interested you can PM me here and I'll send you contact info.

.... have stayed a Cocoview many times back in the day when Mr Bill owned the place. .... a group going to Roatan ...at Fantasy Island Resort. Same exact shore dive locations ,open 24/7 as CCV,3 boat trips a day,1 night boat dive,3 meals a day,beverages,etc..

I only say this since the OP was about comparing Cocoview. You are going to find that there is a huge difference between CCV and Fantasy Island. Beyond even the shore dive being totally different. Night and day. Please post a report after your visit, we haven't heard from any FI divers on ScubaBoard here in maybe 2 years now.

Another question for you all: What's the best way to book CV - go direct, or use a travel agent? If the latter, is there an agent you use who specializes in it and knows how to arrange the best arrangements?

All but once we did by ourselves... Direct with CCV. Get a price and compare but March is close and you may be limited as to selection of lodging. Call the 800 number and talk with someone about availability... Roatan Resort & Diving | CoCo View Resort

1st timers are required to do a checkout dive; no way around this. My suggestion is when talking with them, let them know you want to do the checkout dive on the day you arrive and see if its possible. Some will say "wait till the next day" but I always suggest it. It will cost a few bucks but you get to start diving right away and you can catch the morning boat the following day instead of doing the checkout dive then... You will get a few more dives in this way. A lot of people will complain about not knowing this so if its something you want to do then make damn sure you line it up when you make the reservation... then follow up on it with reminders about your expectations. Get the early flight cause they like to get them done before 2:00pm. When at the airport, you will find others going to CCV for the first time. Mention this and get them to do it as well to spread the cost to cover the checkout dive. Otherwise, the next morning following the orientation briefing you will be doing your checkout instead of getting on the boat... Just a suggestion!!!

lee

---------- Post added January 18th, 2013 at 11:34 AM ----------

I only say this since the OP was about comparing Cocoview. You are going to find that there is a huge difference between CCV and Fantasy Island. Beyond even the shore dive being totally different. Night and day. Please post a report after your visit, we haven't heard from any FI divers on ScubaBoard here in maybe 2 years now.

Your right Doc... Have not heard a peep from the supporters of FI for some time... especially after the sale of FI some couple of years ago...

To the OP, fyi, like the staunch supporters between Roatan and Bonaire, there was a time when the zealots of both CCV and FI would get into slug fest here on the board about which was better... lee

If I was forced to go to CCV every year on vacation it would be fine.
if I was forced to go to Bonaire on vacation every year it would be fine.

This is not a good bad choice - either will be excellent.

Been to Buddy twice and CoCo View once. For hooking up with buddies for shore dives, CCV is so easy. As previously stated, you become part of your boat's group and can join them or other for meals, unless you meet one of the few jerks that end up everywhere. We had a group of 14 and always invited others to join our table.
As to diving, neither place is Coz or Saba in diversity of sites. However, boat diving at CCV does have a few different types of sites...it's the drop-off dive that's always the same. HOWEVER, same only means it's the same wall/reef, depending on how you look at it and what time of day, every dive is different.
Lastly, I did two shore dives at CCV never moving more that 20 feet in 15 feet of water looking at tons of little stuff and had a blast. I finished one dive for the last 10 minutes in 3 feet of water...my tank stuck out... 5 feet from the shore watching a barracuda and other darting fish going in and out of the grass. The water temp was 98 degrees, so I had to get out or cook.
Liked both places. Food at CCV is not great, but did the job. Based on your wanted to meet folks and dive with new pals, try CCV.

Rob

Reactions: Doc
You won't have a problem meeting people or being alone for meals at CCV. Meal times are set so everyone shows up and eats in the same dining room within the same time of each other. It's not my personality to do so however you should find plenty of opportunities to include yourself at someones table for your meal. Our boat, for the week we were there, pretty much stayed together as a group. If diving solo you could always stay with the DM if need be.

Got my hopes up on Cocoview... only to be dashed. Nothing available at the time I can travel. Only have availability during one week in March, and it's not a week I can do it. Ah, well... Lemme tell you, though - you folks really sold it well, and made me want to go. Looks like I'll do Buddy. And you know what? I'm sure I'll be very happy there!

Reactions: Doc
Let me know if your going to be in Bonaire the same week I am and we can catch some dives... lee

Let me know if your going to be in Bonaire the same week I am and we can catch some dives... lee

Oh man, that's my spring break, so maybe I'm going to look into going too!

It would be good to see you kelli...!!!

Back
Top Bottom