Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second DM was added the second day to free one DM to guide the more experienced divers to a more challenging area. The hindsight in this case is that the more experienced divers didn't get the tour they wanted that first day. But, we were all safe.

Follow instructions, and follow the DMs. The DMs I followed in Cozumel did a good job in defaulting to the skills of the least experienced diver. (I was not the least experienced in the group.)

There were probably 200-300 divers that morning visiting that just section of the reef. And that went on every day we were there. Cozumel seems to be a safe area as long as we listen to the local DMs who are familiar with the reef and currents. But, diving anywhere has it's risks.

This thread now has over 40,000 views. Hopefully the discussion underway will help prevent similar accidents in the future.

..Yeah, and maybe my students will quit whining when I tell them to do their safety drills on every dive trip, during a checkout dive. And listen to their DM. And dive within their limits/experience.

One can only hope.

Condolences to this woman's family.

No, I was showing Ron the three point line of discussion where he had addressed the third out of context, and now I am explaining again. :idk:

Don, my quote was referring to "a bunch of backseat divers on the internet " whereas your bolded text was only one person. Big difference. A bunch versus one.

I don't do overhead environments. Strike that, I used to do the swim-throughs in Cozumel but I decided against it on my last trip. If someone panicked in a tight spot, if ripping current swept through etc.. it might not be ideal. The only interesting thing I ever remember seeing was some big crabs. I tell the DM ahead of time I will stay on the top and follow the bubbles. That's what I mean, though. If you are a diver and don't want to do something, feel uncomfortable with it etc.. say so. Don't feel like you're forced into doing something you don't want to, or that goes beyond your training. My primary goal is to return to the surface unharmed.

Robb, is this the kind of swim-thrus we talking about???...This was from Cozumel, can't remember what dive site though....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/7714322872/in/set-72157630901929712/

WOW ........:confused:

OldDiver74 said:

After the Dive, After the DIVE...!!!! he spoke of this.... the potential for down currents.... :shakehead:
I can't help but notice you have less than 50 dives. Really ?

Hindsight is always 20 20 ......
It happens like this, all of a sudden things go south, then you realize that you are in way, way, over your head. Then it's over. Done.
What you don't know, is what is really scary....:shocked2:

Glad your story has a happy ending, think of the other possibilities......

Let's hope some learn from this needless tragedy....

WRONG! What you don't know is never scary.. that is why it is so dangerous..

Deeper dives in Cozumel tend to be linear; that is, one buddy more or less following the other. A three person buddy team tends to stretch this line out a bit more. And a swim through makes it very linear and makes it difficult to keep in contact with the diver(s) behind you. When there is a problem, it may be slow being recognized and responded to.
When I go through a swimthrough behind my wife I keep panning the beam of my light back and forth in front of her to let her know that I am OK.

The last time I dived with my brother he was still doggie paddling while trying to ride a bike ... I don't think we will be doing any "swim-throughs" togeather any time soon.

Dive to your skill level ... at least to the "lowest" skill level of the group.

Yes you might have :) I do actually brief divers not to hold on to the buoy, but not all comply with that. In the same briefing I tell the others to stay with me especially once the buoy is up because the current will take me quicker and I can't stay with them. In this case a couple of them paid attention to what I said, but a couple of them did not. So now I have an inexperienced diver hanging in the current on my buoy and a couple of people "hanging in the back" that didn't see this because they were to far back. Yes I can let go of my buoy, and loose two inexperienced divers with my buoy, or I stay with the inexperienced divers and loose the "experienced divers" (who a lot of times don't have a buoy, and experienced is sometimes also a debatable point).
I tried to keep the group together until the line broke. Any better solution would be appreciated.

Have you heard of the "lazy shot" system?

---------- Post added January 21st, 2013 at 07:04 PM ----------

I haven't time to read all of this fast moving thread. Do the dive professionals reading this thread take divers to swim throughs (other than the simplest) with just the guide leading the way? I require a leader and a tail-end charlie.

Follow instructions, and follow the DMs. .

Does that mean follow the DM (guide) when he decides to enter any overhead environment? Does that mean follow the DM through the Cedar Pass swim throughs at night? There are times when not following the DM may be the right course of action. Hopefully it was addressed in the pre-dive briefing. But I have been on many dives where that was not the case.

Have you heard of the "lazy shot" system?
Have you done any proper driftdiving? Any experience with leading a group in strong currents? A lazy shot would make my problems worse rather then solve them I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom