Free Diving after SCUBA Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rapid ascent rates present in freediving could cause ingassed nitrogen to come out of solution.

Thanks! I think Ill keep them seperate for now! but still very curious do you think if i was conservative with both say a shore dive to 6-8 metres for an hour and maybe large surface intervals freediving say 5min survace to 1.5min dive and keep it under 10metres?? sorry just dont want t miss out if i dont have to. cheers:)

Thanks! I think Ill keep them seperate for now! but still very curious do you think if i was conservative with both say a shore dive to 6-8 metres for an hour and maybe large surface intervals freediving say 5min survace to 1.5min dive and keep it under 10metres?? sorry just dont want t miss out if i dont have to. cheers:)

I'm very curious about the details of the mechanism behind DCS in free divers. So I spent a good couple of hours furiously searching for articles and papers on the subject last night. I didn't come up with much. It seems to me that there hasn't been very much research done on the subject -- well, at least not in comparison with the amount that's been done on DCS in scuba divers. So you might find that no-one can give you an authoritative answer to your question. I hope I'm wrong, though -- I'd love to know too.

So it also means that it's not advisable to do some free diving before u take your plane ride out.... ?

From the material already linked to in this thread, I'd be surprised if a couple of free dives before flying would be a problem.

My understanding of those cites is that the trouble with free diving after scuba is that it affects your SI off-gassing rather than giving you significant new nitrogen loading. Unless you do multiple repetitive deep free dives, which was the situation for the Taravana divers.

Thanks to all for this information. I was completely clueless about this. Usually I'd do some free diving after scuba but this has changed my entire perspective.

I thought the real dangers when free diving after scuba were
a) venous gas emboli formed after scuba diving could be re-compressed, pass through the lung capillaries and end up on the arterial side where they would re-grow during ascent and cause all kinds of problems
b) some free gas would return to solution and due to the rapid nature of ascents with free-diving, could come back out of solution in much larger bubbles

Back
Top Bottom