RELIABLE Camera Flood Insurance...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeinLA

Contributor
Reaction score
I've avoided more expensive setups because of concerns over flooding, but I really want to go with a Nikon D800 setup. If there is reliable underwater flood insurance, I figure I'll go for it; but from what I've read, it seems like some insurance providers arent exactly stand-up in paying out...

Anyone have good experiences with their insurance?

Thanks!

If you have access to USAA, they have a Valuable Personal Property policy that covers ALL RISKS including loss due to flooding. You must schedule each item separately. I had a housing flood on a trip last year. Once I did a minimum amount of paperwork, they covered my loss without question. Very prompt.

Worth checking out if you qualify.

In general you can get coverage for just about anything on your home owner or tenant insurance policy. As noted above, you will have to schedule each item if it is considered "special". I have all of my camera gear covered, but none of the rest of my scuba gear as it is common stuff.

I flooded my very first camera on my first dive with it and everything was covered no questions asked. The coverage is all perils (or some such name) and so covers everything including stupidity. What? You dropped it overboard. Yes you are covered.

Only thing I learned was to get coverage for replacement cost as opposed to current value. I forgot to include sales tax in initial coverage when giving equipment costs and hence was out that amount.

If you own a home, just talk to your agent for your current house insurance. this is the same type of thing as insuring jewelry or those extra special fancy golf clubs.

Thanks for the usaa tip. I need to check that out for my cameras.

I insure my car with USAA so maybe I should consider this as well. I currently have DEPP, but with the awful experience I've had getting my reimbursement for a dive computer stolen 19 months ago I'm not happy. In fairness to DEPP, they have explained that they sent two checks to my street address rather than my mailing address (we don't get street delivery here on the island) and have another check "in the mail."

In general you can get coverage for just about anything on your home owner or tenant insurance policy. As noted above, you will have to schedule each item if it is considered "special". I have all of my camera gear covered, but none of the rest of my scuba gear as it is common stuff.

I flooded my very first camera on my first dive with it and everything was covered no questions asked. The coverage is all perils (or some such name) and so covers everything including stupidity. What? You dropped it overboard. Yes you are covered.

Only thing I learned was to get coverage for replacement cost as opposed to current value. I forgot to include sales tax in initial coverage when giving equipment costs and hence was out that amount.

If you own a home, just talk to your agent for your current house insurance. this is the same type of thing as insuring jewelry or those extra special fancy golf clubs.

I just checked with USAA. Yes cameras can be covered (I was quoted about $2.00/month) for a $500 camera (Canon G15 replacement). Oddly enough I cannot cover my Suunto Wireless pressure transmitter.

Still useful information. I'm tempted. . .

Hmmm... given that I have at least $4,000 invested just in my current video rig if that rate ($2/month/$500 product) applies, I'd be looking at $16/month or $192 per year. I'll still check with USAA though as they have been great with my current insurance.

You can also get insurance from State Farm independent of other insurance. Its about 1-1.5% of the replacement cost per yr. I have had minor claims and they were paid quickly and easily.

Hmmm... given that I have at least $4,000 invested just in my current video rig if that rate ($2/month/$500 product) applies, I'd be looking at $16/month or $192 per year. I'll still check with USAA though as they have been great with my current insurance.

For example, with USAA I have about $20,000 of camera gear insured (not all UW stuff). The cost is about $250.00/year, so the pricing is great. Plus there is no deductible. Worth checking out. I don't believe that you need to have a homeowners policy with them to get the VPP policy.

The best defense is a good offense.

Be very, very careful in housing and gear assembly. When you get "on location", assemble your entire rig, including flashes, sync chords, etc., only after completely disassembling anything with an easily serviceable o-ring (sycn chords, housing gaskets, port gaskets, etc.). Do not over-apply your silicone greases, and be sure to use the one rated for your products.

I would suggest removing the o-rings entirely, then cleaning the o-ring, and both seating grooves of the part. Do this with good quality cotton swabs. Re-apply the silicone grease to the o-ring (main key is not too much. and "pull" o-ring between thumb and forefinger to uniformly coat), and inspect the housing/part grooves in very good light - with a magnifier. Carefully assemble the housing/cords/whatever, and make sure you don't "pinch" the o-rings in any way (if you do, you may have cut them, and they need to be replaced. Always a good idea to have a spare one - especially on the large housings, as they're only around $5- $6). Check to make sure no hairs, etc. are in the grooves when you do the final close, too. Q-tips work great for cleaning the grooves out, too (don't buy cheap ones, as they can leave fibers in the groove). I flooded a $3000 video camera once, due to an eyelash on the o-ring. Everything worked fine until around 80 feet, then the floodgates opened. Amazing how well my dive buddy could understanding my cussing underwater.....

DAN actually sells flood insurance, too. I forget how much it is (I have it, as my total rig cost is around 9k, and if you flood it, you'll ruin the camera and lens).

The old axiom of it's not if you'll flood one, but when holds true. After flooding 3 housings (1 was faulty housing...but I got a new housing, but no new camera in the deal), you'll take a back-up unit. I have not flooded a housing in over 5 years, but I have developed a strict pre-trip protocol, as well as strict post-dive one, too (very, very important to soak you housing in fresh water for at least 1/2 hour after your dive day is done. Don't open or disassemble until after this soak is done, as salt crystals form on the gaskets/glands, and will cause abrasion to these items, if the buttons are pushed, etc.).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom