key largo dive fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

always a sad day for diving when divers die....the benwood is considered a shallow starter dive. my condolences to the family.

So sad as I sit in cold NY thinking I wish I was in the Keys diving. Yeah easy dive, but I guess as they taught me years ago when I got certified you could die in 3 feet of water if you have a tank strapped to your back.

RIP

Sad event. Does sound health related. Curious that dive buddy said low on air after 26 minutes. That is pretty fast air consumption at that depth unless they had some current and were fighting it or their was an equipment issue.

Very sad. Hopefully they followed safety protocols (administering o2).

If he was low on air (after only 25 mins in 60ft???), hopefully he didn't do a pop-up without breathing on ascent, as that could be an AGE. That's also not the best diving conditions, as posted by reefman.

If you're like me, I don't every want to be that type of statistic. We are all guessing, at this point, the "what-if's. Many people forget their basic dive info on ascent rate, the importance of an open-airway, etc. Might be a good time to crack those old dive manuals out and refresh your memory on proper procedures. If you haven't been diving in awhile, remember, refresher courses take 2 hours, and cost around $75, too, which is money well spent, in my opinion.

Condolences to the man's family.

This from a local Columbus TV station

Grove City Man Dies While Diving Off Key Largo | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio
[h=1]Grove City Man Dies While Diving Off Key Largo[/h]Thursday January 24, 2013 6:58 AM
UPDATED: Thursday January 24, 2013 7:00 AM

KEY LARGO, Fla. - Authorities say an Ohio man has died while diving off of Key Largo.

Monroe County Sheriff's officials say Ronald Dye, 56, of Grove City, Ohio, and a dive buddy surfaced about 25 minutes after going into the water on Wednesday.

Tropical Adventures captain told deputies a crew member went into the water with a rescue buoy and helped the men back to the boat.

A crew member started CPR and the boat headed for the dock but Dye was declared dead a short time later.

The dive buddy told deputies they surfaced because Dye was low on air. At that point, he said Dye indicated something was wrong, but he didn't tell him what it was.

An autopsy is scheduled.

Very sad. RIP. I thought the Benwood was in at most 50ish ft deep water? I remember last time being out there a pretty kicking current but was other than that a very easy dive. Just too bad.

Last edited:
I thought the Benwood was in at most 50ish ft deep water? I remember last time being out there a pretty kicking current but was other than that a very easy dive. Just too bad.

48 feet in the sand off the bow. Most of the dive is in the mid 30 foot range.

Benwood is shallow. I think that this may be Rainbow Reef's first fatality.

Back
Top Bottom