How Early Do You Plan/Book a Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave at the end of this week for 10 days in the Bahamas to film sharks and lionfish control. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing so my planning began a few weeks before.

I did a three month trip circling the North and South Pacific back in 2001 and did only a bit of planning for that trip (buying an air consolidator's ticket for all flights and booking a place in Hong Kong and Cairns). The rest of the details (locations within each destination country, accommodations, dive operators, etc.) was all done when I arrived in each destination city and based on what I heard from other travelers. Of course that was largely a backpacking style trip. The entire cost was $4,500 including ALL airfare, accommodations, meals, diving, gifts, etc.

I am currently planning a 4-6 week trip to the Philippines (with a possible side trip to Tokyo) in April and have been planning that for about a month now, so 3+ months of prior planning but the details still have to be worked out.

I've only gone to the tropics to dive once. Planned it maybe a year ahead and booked everything about 4 months ahead. The only risk really is that I come down with one of my killer colds that lasts 2 weeks, but comes only once in 7-8 months.

Our last trip was to Fiji and was researched for about three days then booked two days before we flew out. We had had some bad luck and decided we needed a holiday. Most International trips would be researched for a couple of weeks then booked about a month or so in advance.

I've been told and have seen for myself that on common Caribbean flights, that the best prices can be found around the 6 weeks prior. That said, generally I'll book earlier than that because I like to get my preferred seating. Also, the timing and location of a trip may dictate an earlier booking schedule. For example, I often travel over the Christmas season and may book as early as August. My most recent trip was booked 9 months early, which reaped us decent prices on flights and excellent prices on our chosen accommodations. Early booking also guaranteed us our chosen accommodations, in that they were boutique-like and a longer wait may have closed us out. When booking on points, I will book as early as possible, even a year ahead to ensure my seat availability. And all that said, if one remains flexible, it is almost always possible to get somewhere you will find enjoyable and perhaps a wonderful new experience.

I would say that typically I book trips about 9 months to a year out. The wife and I generally are traveling with a rather large (16 to 20) group of friends and so I try and give folks plenty of time to prepare. One trip we have coming up is going to the Socorro Islands on the Rocio Del Mar in November 2014. In order to get the week I wanted and be able to get the entire boat, I had to book that last summer. If I were just traveling alone I'd jump on some of the last minute deals where someone had to back out of a trip and you can pick up a spot like that on the cheap.

I usually book most trips, dive-specific or not, about 2-3 months in advance. That way I can nail down travel and lodging. Everything else we typically play by ear. For something truly epic (like a month long diving trip that included live-aboard in some exotic or hard to reach place) I'd probably move it to 4-6 months. I think my last trip that long was to Thailand and Cambodia and we planned travel and hotels about 3 months out. Beyond that I haven't found any significant cost savings and it gives plenty of time for necessary itinerary changes without losing money.

Year in advance. Mainly due to booking tickets via Aeroplan.

On a side note: I looked at a livaboard on the BVI until I read here (and the op did disclose too) that should they not get enough bodies on board- the boat won't go. Money refunded but no way that fits with my schedule!

We try to book our group trips 1 to 3 years ahead.

We are always looking for the " Best time for Diving & the preferred dive operator/resort".

I go to either extreme depending on the situation. I've got three weeks in Yap/Palau booked for the end of the year already which was done to take advantage of Aeroplan miles. But if I see a seat sale for Cozumel come up that leaves next week I'll be out the door and heading South.

Back
Top Bottom