DIY dive arm help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puncho

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to make a cheap dive arm like
132154d1344777507-show-me-your-mount-img_0575.jpg
and
1727810429_7bef440f22.jpg

(Ncgator and msilvia)

I know to buy the 3/4" loc lines, but how does one attach the loc lines to the handle or frame? how about from the loc frame to the light? I'm thinking of using a pipe holder to hold onto my flashlight (I know, not ideal but I don't dive enough to warrant a video light!) I don't have access to many tools so just want to make sure I do it as easily as possible. Thanks!

Loc Line has a set of base links that are male plugs threaded in various standard sizes. Pick the section that's threaded for the hole in your arm, and/or tap the arm for whatever you have. That's how the lower end is done.

For the light end (the top), the easiest thing I've done is to find a 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 stainless bolt, a rubber stopper, two stainless fender washers, and a stainless nyloc nut. Thread the bolt->washer->rubber stopper, then place the assembly INSIDE the last segment of LocLine where you're going to put the light. On the outside of the loc line, put the other fender washer and the nyloc nut.

Tighten down the nut, which should compress the stopper and wedge it firmly inside the last piece of loc line. Then assemble your arm.

You now have a standard camera tripod thread sticking out of the end of your locline and it's not going anywhere.

If that doesn't work for you, you have a great stud sticking out the top of the loc line that you can then affix any kind of bracket you want onto for whatever light you decide you're going to hold.

BTW - loc line doesn't hold a LOT of weight, so I find getting some appropriate heat-shrink tubing, sliding it over the loc line, and then warming it until it shrinks a bit with a hair dryer will make it tougher to move the loc line, but also less likely to move on its own.

The first pic looks like a fixed mount. It's a flat solid base, that mounts to the tray. Item #60533
here: The Original Modular Hose System | Loc-Line - Three Quarter Inch

$8 at Reef - Loc-Line 3/4\ Fixed Mount aka Base [loc.60533] - $8.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
2/$9.94 at Grainger - LOC-LINE Fixed Mount, 3/4In, PK2 - Flexible Hose Systems - 20Y254|60533 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Depending on how bright your dive light is try cutting a piece out of a plastic milk carton and securing it to the front of your light to act as a diffuser. Otherwise you'll see the reflector "rings". Doing this will also cut down the light output considerably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom