Boat Dive Incident in Monterey 1/19/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm Gayle's dive buddy. CaliDenna's post of what happened is pretty accurate. Gayle has completely recovered, is in good health and is back at work. Concern was a potential Arterial Gas Embolism. However, all tests, EEG, EKG, MRI, Bubble, Chest X-ray, neuro-psych exams were normal. We consulted with Diver's Alert Network who recommended, for precautionary measures, hyperbaric treatment . So Gayle spent 5 hours, Saturday night, in a hyperbaric chamber at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek. Turns out this is the closest chamber, now that the Pacific Grove Chamber is closed.

We want to thank all the people involved that made this rescue a success. First of all, the crew of the Silver Prince, Captain Todd Temple and Dive Masters Steve and Ken. These guys were textbook in their response. We were lucky we had this crew. The Ambulance crew and the staffs at Monterey Community Hospital and John Muir Medical Center were all very professional and supportive. Thank you.

This is Gayle's dive buddy and BF. Gayle has fully recovered and returned to work on Tuesday. She passed all exams with flying colors, EKG, EEG, MRI, X-Ray, etc... She went to Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, via air ambulance, for HBOT. Because the chamber in Pacific Grove is now closed.

Thank you to Captain Todd and the Crew of the Silver Prince. These guys did a fantastic in getting her to Coast Guard dock. It was an amazing rescue.

Graysby,

Thank you for sharing. I would like to ask one more favor when you and Gayle are ready. Put together your recollections of the events leading to and during this emergency. Include an honest assessment of triggers and lessons learned. It might be a good idea for Gayle NOT to read the thread without your previewing it first. Her near miss may help prevent someone else's tragedy.

To the members of ScubaBoard at large,

If you would like Graysby and Gayle to share their experience in all it's details, then pledge to ask your questions in a polite and non-confrontational manner, and keep your comments to truly constructive ones. This is a flamefree zone. Respect it. This way we all can learn to be better divers.

The most important lessons learned from this incident is always use the right equipment and make sure all your equipment fits properly. In this case the dry suit and BC failed.

A week before this incident, Gayle had bought a new dry suit off the rack. The dive shop that sold it too her, gave her a steep discount because it was "last year's model". However, the suit didn't fit right. Girth was too wide and more importantly it was way too long. When we reached bottom, air in the suit went to the boots. The suit being too long caused the boots to come off. Her feet were about where the shins should be. She tried all the maneuvers she had learned in her dry suit class to right herself. But found it impossible with the boots acting as balloons. In the struggle, she lost one of her weight pocket and basically shot to the surface. I tried to grab her hand, but it slipped out. I then made a controlled ascent to assist her.

After the incident we went to the size chart on the manufacturers website. The suit is a medium, which according to the manufacturer would fit a woman up to 5'8". Based on Gayle's height 5'3" and weight, she would fit a extra small. The dry suit was two sizes too big!

The other problem we had was the BC wasn't right for the conditions - Gayle's is a warm water "travel" BC. One it doesn't have enough lift for cold water diving and two the weight pockets are not designed for the required amount of weight. She was also wearing ankle weights. The weight pocket was recovered by another diver, near the anchor line, which is where the incident took place.

We tested the BC by putting 8 lbs in each pocket. (This is the same amount she had in the pockets on the day of the incident). Secured the Velcro. Turned the BC upside down and shook it. Twice a weight pocket fell out.

If she had not lost a weight pocket, with assistance we probably could have mitigated the boot issue. Unfortunately, we never had a chance too.

Jesse and Gayle.

Grysby, thank you for sharing the story. Glad everything in the end turned out okay.

Curious though, is there a reason the regulator was spit out? Did Gayle go unconscious underwater? If so does anyone know why? Must have been a very scary experience for all involved.

A week before this incident, Gayle had bought a new dry suit off the rack. The dive shop that sold it too her, gave her a steep discount because it was "last year's model". However, the suit didn't fit right. The dry suit was two sizes too big!

We tested the BC by putting 8 lbs in each pocket. (This is the same amount she had in the pockets on the day of the incident). Secured the Velcro. Turned the BC upside down and shook it. Twice a weight pocket fell out. .

I think you should identify the shop and the BC.

In all the safety briefings I've heard, we were told to ascend at a safe rate and complete any safety stops if the emergency recall was sounded.

Many boat captains or DMs would think twice about advising people to skip safety stops or ignore their computer's request for a safety stop, even though they are not required - in case of another incident with someone aborting their dive due to the recall. Many people probably would cut short their safety stop without being asked, but it could be risky to ask that someone do that.

Maybe just semantics, but no dive computer is going to tell you you have to make a safety stop, a deco stop is another story, so maybe you're just mixing up the terms?

But safety stops in recreational diving are optional. In an emergency they should be aborted, a deco stop should not. And ignoring a safe ascent rate is not an option.

Maybe just semantics, but no dive computer is going to tell you you have to make a safety stop, a deco stop is another story, so maybe you're just mixing up the terms?

But safety stops in recreational diving are optional. In an emergency they should be aborted, a deco stop should not. And ignoring a safe ascent rate is not an option.

Of course I agree with the rest, but my computer certainly indicates when it thinks I am/should be doing a safety stop, by starting a 3min countdown when I break 20ft. Perhaps this is all Ayisha meant.

In all the safety briefings I've heard, we were told to ascend at a safe rate and complete any safety stops if the emergency recall was sounded.

Many boat captains or DMs would think twice about advising people to skip safety stops or ignore their computer's request for a safety stop, even though they are not required - in case of another incident with someone aborting their dive due to the recall. Many people probably would cut short their safety stop without being asked, but it could be risky to ask that someone do that.

Nope, not mixing up terms. It was already covered in my post you quoted that safety stops are not required. I would still not want to suggest that someone skip a safety stop for fear of liability in the event of a second victim - it can happen - and that is their decision. I don't believe skipping deco stops was suggested by anyone in this thread, and is not part of my post.

I stated "think twice about advising people to ... ignore their computer's request for a safety stop", not a demand. Perhaps you like "reminder" more? Many computers start counting down a safety stop at a predetermined depth, like 20 feet, and some also start counting down a deep stop at a predetermined depth, like 60 or 50 feet. Many people will feel comfortable omitting or shortening these in the event of an emergency, but some will not.

I have heard this emergency recall speech many times, and I have never heard yet the suggestion to not complete any safety stops we see fit.

Of course I agree with the rest, but my computer certainly indicates when it thinks I am/should be doing a safety stop, by starting a 3min countdown when I break 20ft. Perhaps this is all Ayisha meant.

Exactly. :)

Back
Top Bottom